With so many things to remember a caravan checklist is an ideal way of making sure you remember everything. It’s not just having a caravan checklist for the internal stuff, like food and toiletries, there’s a whole load of stuff you actually need to check before you hitch up and pull away.
When you’re first starting our using your Caravan there’s a lot to remember and checklists really come in handy. Actually, even when you’re an experienced caravanner you sometimes need a checklist, or , as we found out recently, when you change caravans there’s a whole load of stuff you need to do and take care of. Being organised is the ideal way to make a caravan trip enjoyable and stress free. Or rather more enjoyable and less stressful!
So, let’s take a deep breath and dive right into this check list, which is what you need to check before you set off towing. A Caravan Checklist – Pre Towing.
- When you arrive at your caravan start by switching off your alarm and remove any security devices and storing them safely – as you’ll need them at your destination)
- Ensure handbrake is engaged (some leave it off if the caravan is likely to be standing for some time
- Pack all your clothes, food and furniture etc (don’t forget the BBQ!)
- Once the caravan is packed ensure all the cupboards are closed and fastened where appropriate. This will stop anything moving during the journey
- Turn the fridge to the 12v setting so that it remains cool during the trip.
- Lock fridge door
- Turn off any taps that may have been left open to drain water whilst in storage
- If you’re carrying an awning in your caravan, make sure it’s positioned over the caravan axle
- Ensure all windows and roof lights are fastened
- It is recommended that blinds be opened during travel, this ensures the catches are not put under any unnecessary pressure.
- Ensure TV aerial is lowered
- Store the microwave glass plate safely
- Turn off gas
- Turn off water pump
- Ensure tanks are drained (internal water tank if applicable and toilet flush water)
- Check your caravan’s nose weight
- Check wheel nuts with torque wrench
- Check tyre pressures
- Ensure all doors / lockers are locked
- Final external check for windows and roof lights being closed
- Final check that TV Aerial is down
- Lift stays (corner steadies or legs)
- Fit Car wing mirrors
- Attach car to caravan
- Ensure hand brake is off and motor mover disengaged
- Connect caravan electrics to car
- Check for green light on stabiliser (if applicable)
- Ensure jockey wheel is secured
- Check caravan lights work (indicators, brake lights, reversing lights etc
89total visits,5visits today