To understand what a caravan hitch lock is, you firstly need to know what the hitch is. If you don’t know what a hitch is, how are you going to fit the lock ? 🙂
The very front of the caravan is the A frame. The very front of the A Frame is the hitch. It’s the part that attaches the caravan to the tow car. AL-Ko make 98% of caravan chassis in the UK, so the likelihood is your hitch will look something like this.
So, meet the AKS-3004. This is the caravan hitch, it’s sometimes known as the stabiliser, this is because part of its job is to keep the caravan stable as you tow. The handle at the top lifts up to expose another handle which you in turn lift to open the hole at the bottom where the tow ball goes. I’m sorry, these articles can get a bit technical, but you know what I mean..
Now, where was I? Oh yes, the caravan hitch lock. So, to prevent anyone from stealing your pride and joy, you can purchase a lock that basically prevents anyone opening the hitch and therefore attaching to their very own tow car, which we obviously want to prevent. With the hitch locked, no one is going to steal your caravan. However, nothing in life is guaranteed and naturally where there’s a will there’s a way, nothing is perfect! You can only do your best.
Now you know what the hitch is we can look at ways to secure it when the caravan is off and indeed on the tow car. Yes, some locks are designed to be on the hitch whilst travelling. Now this subject opens up a can of worms. To test it, why not go onto a caravan Facebook group and ask if you should leave the hitch lock on whilst travelling.
If you’ve done it you’ll be looking for a way to cancel your Facebook account! What I’ll say is that some hitch locks are designed to be fitted whilst travelling, if you want to fit it then please go ahead. Just make sure it’s designed to be fitted whilst travelling as most aren’t.
Here’s the hitch lock I have.
- Length: 156 mm.
- Height: 194 mm.
- Width: 191 mm.
- Weight: 4890 g.
You can, of course, buy cheaper hitch locks, I just find this one of the easiest to fit and remove. It can also be left on whilst travelling, however, I’ve never done this. Why? Because I’ve read all the Facebook comments and it’s put enough doubt in my mind to not use it as such. You see, even internal caravan vloggers can doubt themselves sometimes…
Best Selling Locks
Which one should you buy? It’s a personal thing. I think they are much of a muchness. This article isn’t sponsored so I’m not going to convince you one way or the other. Find one to suit your budget and one that looks easy to fit. There is various safety standard such as “Sold Secure”. You could also talk to your insurance company as they may recommend one, they may indeed insist on a certain type.
- Stronghold hitch hock (Alko) - Sold Secure NOTE:The Black and Grey handle on the image is part of a caravan and is used for illustration purposes only.
- Hitch lock for use on AL-KO AK130, AK160, AKS1300, AKS2004, AKS3004 and AKS3504 couplings (including the new 2012 range)
- Sold Secure tested and approved at Caravan Gold standard
- Easy to fit hitched or unhitched, and a high-visibility deterrent
- Comes with a handy storage case and plastic ball for extra security for fitting unhitched
- ➤ This Ball Lock Made of zinc-alloy material, Fit for all popular trailer couplings
- ➤ Easy installation,Keeps the vehicle and trailer connected, prevents theft of the trailer hitch.
- ➤ Size: 50x65.5mm.Package Included:1 x Ball Lock.1 x Key.2 x Keys.
- ➤ Material: Zinc Alloy. Made of zinc-alloy material, Fit for ALl popular trailer couplings
- ➤ Covered key slot prevents dust and corrosion in the locking mechanism.Keeps vehicle and trailer connected; helps prevent theft of the hitch.
- KEEP YOUR CARAVAN OR TRAILER SAFE AND SECURE WITH THIS HITCH LOCK
- VERY EASY TO APPLY AND USE
- Locks onto the caravan/trailers hitch
- Visible security that obstructs the tow hitch
- Guards against theft of caravans and trailers, advanced locking mechanism for improved security
- ▶SAFER CAMPING EXPERIENCES: Losing your trailer or caravan at a camping location far from the city can be a nightmare. A trailer hitch lock is a must have security device for such outdoor holidaying trips to avoid such potential thefts.
- ▶ADDED SECURITY: Suitable for standard-sized hitches, this universal coupling system uses a lock guard that blocks the tow ball, not allowing other vehicles or cars to pair/attach to your trailer hitch.
- ▶HIGH VISIBILITY DETERRENT: Clearly visible anti-theft locks do a better job of warning-away miscreants. This brightly-coloured, big hitch lock for trailers or caravans is easily visible, discouraging offenders from attempting to tow-away your hitch.
- ▶TOUGH BUILT: This Guardian Hitch Lock with disc-style padlock system is made from heavy duty steel, making it difficult to cut or tamper. This bolts of this locking system are hidden to ensure maximum security.
- ▶SPARE KEY UTILITY: Caravanners often need to trust the yard owner with their hitch. Similarly, towed trailers are often shared and co-owners find it easy to hand-over a parked trailer if it is fully secured with a security lock that comes with a spare key.
- Saracen Gullwing Caravan High Security Hitch Lock (Thatcham Approved)
*Last update on 2021-05-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API