To understand what a caravan hitch lock is, you firstly need to know what the hitch is. If you don’t know what a hitch is, how are you going to fit the lock ? 🙂
The very front of the caravan is the A frame. The very front of the A Frame is the hitch. It’s the part that attaches the caravan to the tow car. AL-Ko make 98% of caravan chassis in the UK, so the likelihood is your hitch will look something like this.
So, meet the AKS-3004. This is the caravan hitch, it’s sometimes known as the stabiliser, this is because part of its job is to keep the caravan stable as you tow. The handle at the top lifts up to expose another handle which you in turn lift to open the hole at the bottom where the tow ball goes. I’m sorry, these articles can get a bit technical, but you know what I mean..
Now, where was I? Oh yes, the caravan hitch lock. So, to prevent anyone from stealing your pride and joy, you can purchase a lock that basically prevents anyone opening the hitch and therefore attaching to their very own tow car, which we obviously want to prevent. With the hitch locked, no one is going to steal your caravan. However, nothing in life is guaranteed and naturally where there’s a will there’s a way, nothing is perfect! You can only do your best.
Now you know what the hitch is we can look at ways to secure it when the caravan is off and indeed on the tow car. Yes, some locks are designed to be on the hitch whilst travelling. Now this subject opens up a can of worms. To test it, why not go onto a caravan Facebook group and ask if you should leave the hitch lock on whilst travelling.
If you’ve done it you’ll be looking for a way to cancel your Facebook account! What I’ll say is that some hitch locks are designed to be fitted whilst travelling, if you want to fit it then please go ahead. Just make sure it’s designed to be fitted whilst travelling as most aren’t.
Here’s the hitch lock I have.
- Length: 156 mm.
- Height: 194 mm.
- Width: 191 mm.
- Weight: 4890 g.
You can, of course, buy cheaper hitch locks, I just find this one of the easiest to fit and remove. It can also be left on whilst travelling, however, I’ve never done this. Why? Because I’ve read all the Facebook comments and it’s put enough doubt in my mind to not use it as such. You see, even internal caravan vloggers can doubt themselves sometimes…
Best Selling Locks
Which one should you buy? It’s a personal thing. I think they are much of a muchness. This article isn’t sponsored so I’m not going to convince you one way or the other. Find one to suit your budget and one that looks easy to fit. There is various safety standard such as “Sold Secure”. You could also talk to your insurance company as they may recommend one, they may indeed insist on a certain type.
- TRAILER HITCH LOCK WITH UNIVERSAL LOCKING POSITIONS, 6 Locking Positions To Fit Many Trailer And Caravan Applications With Standard 50mm Trailer Hitches
- EXTREMELY EASY TO USE AND REMARKABLY EFFECTIVE hitch lock for caravans, Simply Slot The Ball Section Inside Your Trailer Hitch
- EACH TRAILER LOCK COMPLETE WITH TWO KEYS, Spare Key Supplied In The Event Of Losing A Key
- STRIKINGLY BRIGHT YELLOW COLOUR, Ensures Your Hitch Lock Is Easily Seen By Potential Thieves To Increase Protection Against Trailer Theft
- HEAVY DUTY CAST CORROSION RESISTANT CONSTRUCTION, Designed To Withstand Heavy Weather And Thieves Picking And Prying At The Lock
- ➤ This Ball Lock Made of zinc-alloy material, Fit for all popular trailer couplings
- ➤ Easy installation,Keeps the vehicle and trailer connected, prevents theft of the trailer hitch.
- ➤ Size: 50x65.5mm.Package Included:1 x Ball Lock.1 x Key.2 x Keys.
- ➤ Material: Zinc Alloy. Made of zinc-alloy material, Fit for ALl popular trailer couplings
- ➤ Covered key slot prevents dust and corrosion in the locking mechanism.Keeps vehicle and trailer connected; helps prevent theft of the hitch.
- UNIVERSAL: Ratchet is adjustable for 11 locking positions, make the space between the U-shape steel bar and the ball is 1-5cm. Suitable for all 50mm trailer coupling and perfectly fits 47.6mm, 50.8mm and 58.7mm Coupler.
- HEAVY DUTY: 13mm steel U-shape bar with chrome plating; the body is constructed of aluminum alloy with yellow powder coating. High resistance to rust, corrosion & weathering. Also resists the drilling out, saw open & pry open.
- EASY TO USE: Fits into the tow hitch in exactly the same manner as the tow ball on your vehicle. U-shape bar can slide on snugly over trailer hitches for easy adjustment. Quick to install and remove.
- INTIMATE DESIGN: Spare Key Included (2 Safety key). Highly visible yellow colour helps to increase the Deterrent effect. Universal coupling lock to fit most caravans, horseboxes, trailers etc.
- WARRANTY: 30-day money-back guarantee, 12-month warranty for quality-related issues. We will solve all quality-related issues through REPLACEMENT or FULL REFUND. If you have any questions when receiving or using our products, please contact us.
- Keep your caravan or trailer safe and secure with this hitch lock, very easy to apply and locks onto caravan/trailers hitch.
- Bright yellow for a visible deterrent. Made from 70mm steel with a thick locking bar. Stainless Steel hardened shackle padlock.
- Heavy duty coupling hitch lock and two keys. An ideal security lock for vehicles, caravans and trailers. It has been constructed to suit hitches of most home use, regular trailers, touring cars etc.
- Forged with carbon steel of high intensity and round heavy duty stainless steel padlock with 2 keys. Approximate Dimensions: 20cm Long x 9.6cm High x 10.5cm Wide.
- Can also be attached whilst caravan or trailer is attached to your car securing the trailer to the vehicle when in car parks etc. Must not be fitted whilst driving.
- The Stronghold Hitchlock for ALKO hitches fits a wide range of ALKO hitches including: AK130, AK160, AKS1300, AKS2004 and AKS3004 Approved to Sold Secure Gold standard for caravan and trailers VbV/SCM MP03 approved in the Netherlands
- Weighing only 3Kg it is easily fitted, hitched or unhitched It provides security for a car and caravan when they are parked coupled together e.g. motorway services (note - for safety reasons this product is not recommended for use while towing)
- Fitment in under 10 seconds Lightweight and user friendly touring or storage product The robust yellow anti-saw steel casing covers the fixing bolts of the hitch to protect it from being stolen Unique high security patented locking system
- High security pick-free locks have thousands of possible key combinations and are supplied with 3 keys, plus a key identity tag Water and corrosion proof Storage bag included
- The box contains Hitchlock cover Locking bolt body Locking bolt lock holder with three keys Security ball Fitting instructions and warranty card
*Last update on 2021-03-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API