What is a Caravan Hitch Lock?
To understand what a caravan hitch lock is, you firstly need to know what the hitch is. If you don’t know what a hitch is, how are you going to fit the lock ? 🙂
The very front of the caravan is the A frame. The very front of the A Frame is the hitch. It’s the part that attaches the caravan to the tow car. AL-Ko make 98% of caravan chassis in the UK, so the likelihood is your hitch will look something like this.
So, meet the AKS-3004. This is the caravan hitch, it’s sometimes known as the stabiliser, this is because part of its job is to keep the caravan stable as you tow. The handle at the top lifts up to expose another handle which you in turn lift to open the hole at the bottom where the tow ball goes. I’m sorry, these articles can get a bit technical, but you know what I mean..
Now, where was I? Oh yes, the caravan hitch lock. So, to prevent anyone from stealing your pride and joy, you can purchase a lock that basically prevents anyone opening the hitch and therefore attaching to their very own tow car, which we obviously want to prevent. With the hitch locked, no one is going to steal your caravan. However, nothing in life is guaranteed and naturally where there’s a will there’s a way, nothing is perfect! You can only do your best.
Now you know what the hitch is we can look at ways to secure it when the caravan is off and indeed on the tow car. Yes, some locks are designed to be on the hitch whilst travelling. Now this subject opens up a can of worms. To test it, why not go onto a caravan Facebook group and ask if you should leave the hitch lock on whilst travelling.
If you’ve done it you’ll be looking for a way to cancel your Facebook account! What I’ll say is that some hitch locks are designed to be fitted whilst travelling, if you want to fit it then please go ahead. Just make sure it’s designed to be fitted whilst travelling as most aren’t.
Here’s the hitch lock I have.
- Length: 156 mm.
- Height: 194 mm.
- Width: 191 mm.
- Weight: 4890 g.
You can, of course, buy cheaper hitch locks, I just find this one of the easiest to fit and remove. It can also be left on whilst travelling, however, I’ve never done this. Why? Because I’ve read all the Facebook comments and it’s put enough doubt in my mind to not use it as such. You see, even internal caravan vloggers can doubt themselves sometimes…
Best Selling Hitch Lock
Which one should you buy? It’s a personal thing. I think they are much of a muchness. This article isn’t sponsored so I’m not going to convince you one way or the other. Find one to suit your budget and one that looks easy to fit. There is various safety standard such as “Sold Secure”. You could also talk to your insurance company as they may recommend one, they may indeed insist on a certain type.
- Hitchlock for Alko hitches
- For Alko hitches: AK130, AK160, AKS1300, AKS2004 and AKS3004
- Immobilises hitch to prevent tow-away theft
- Highly visible deterrent
- Strong and robust
- Extreme Reliability with the twist proof latch
- Extremely durable 4 mm hardened steel body
- Certification according to SCM MPO3 and Sold Secure Gold.
- Fits both with and without coupling.
- Complete with carry pouch and features a safety ball.
- TRAILER HITCH LOCK WITH UNIVERSAL LOCKING POSITIONS, 6 Locking Positions To Fit Many Trailer And Caravan Applications With Standard 50mm Trailer Hitches
- EXTREMELY EASY TO USE AND REMARKABLY EFFECTIVE hitch lock for caravans, Simply Slot The Ball Section Inside Your Trailer Hitch
- EACH TRAILER LOCK COMPLETE WITH TWO KEYS, Spare Key Supplied In The Event Of Losing A Key
- STRIKINGLY BRIGHT YELLOW COLOUR, Ensures Your Hitch Lock Is Easily Seen By Potential Thieves To Increase Protection Against Trailer Theft
- HEAVY DUTY CAST CORROSION RESISTANT CONSTRUCTION, Designed To Withstand Heavy Weather And Thieves Picking And Prying At The Lock
- 🔐YOU NEED A TRAILER LOCK! -- What happens when your trailer is unhitched from your vehicle? What if someone were to try and tow it away while it's sitting in your drive way? For that, you'd want a Trailer Lock. Our U-shaped Trailer Lock fits over the coupler on the trailer's tongue and prevents someone else from hooking up his vehicle to your trailer. This Trailer Lock easily attaches to the tongue of your trailer, camper, RV, or boat trailer for added protection when you are not around.
- 🔐BEST QUALITY IN THE MARKET -- Trailer Lock is constructed of aluminum alloy with a yellow powder coating. Premium materials provide resistance to rust, corrosion, and weather; Unique Trailer Lock also resist drill outs, picking, and prying.
- 🔐CONVENIENT USE -- 1.Mount your Trailer Lock on your trailer hitch where your vehicle ball would normally go, then lock into place; 2.U shape lock bar slides on snugly over trailer hitches for easy attachment and a tight fit; 3. Completed. Easy and quick to install and remove.
- 🔐ADJUSTABLE AND UNIVERSAL FIT -- Ratchet of Tevlaphee Trailer Lock is adjustable for 11 locking positions. The U-shape tow lock features a 0.5inch (1.3cm) thickness and a 3.9inch (10.0cm) space to fit most trailer hitches and perfectly fits 1-7/8", 2" and 2-5/16" Coupler.
- 🔐100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Each Trailer Lock set includes 1 Lock unit and 2 keys; If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will issue a full refund or a replacement with only one question.
- ▶SAFER CAMPING EXPERIENCES: Losing your trailer or caravan at a camping location far from the city can be a nightmare. A trailer hitch lock is a must have security device for such outdoor holidaying trips to avoid such potential thefts.
- ▶ADDED SECURITY: Suitable for standard-sized hitches, this universal coupling system uses a lock guard that blocks the tow ball, not allowing other vehicles or cars to pair/attach to your trailer hitch.
- ▶HIGH VISIBILITY DETERRENT: Clearly visible anti-theft locks do a better job of warning-away miscreants. This brightly-coloured, big hitch lock for trailers or caravans is easily visible, discouraging offenders from attempting to tow-away your hitch.
- ▶TOUGH BUILT: This Guardian Hitch Lock with disc-style padlock system is made from heavy duty steel, making it difficult to cut or tamper. This bolts of this locking system are hidden to ensure maximum security.
- ▶SPARE KEY UTILITY: Caravanners often need to trust the yard owner with their hitch. Similarly, towed trailers are often shared and co-owners find it easy to hand-over a parked trailer if it is fully secured with a security lock that comes with a spare key.
*Last update on 2020-06-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API