“What Caravan Sat Nav do you use?”
Do you know, the number one question no one has asked me this month? You guessed it “What caravan sat nav do you use?”
Honestly, it’s 100% true, no one has asked me what Caravan Sat Nav I use, why would they? In the same way no one has asked me what tooth paste, or deodorant I use. I mean anyone can Google “Caravan Sat Nav” can’t they? Having said that, I’m going to tell you anyway…..
No one likes getting lost. Why not start the article with stating the obvious! But it’s true, no one likes to get lost. If you’re with someone else it can cause arguments, if you’re on your own you’ll beat yourself up for getting lost. But we all know getting lost is easy, it’s as easy as, well, getting lost.
Losing your way in a car is one thing, you can always do a U turn or turn around. Whilst towing a Caravan, or even in a Motorhome, this is normally something you try to avoid where ever possible. Every caravanner, at some point, has the nightmare where they are driving down a really narrow road and come to a dead end – don’t they? Maybe it’s just me. In any case, you don’t want to get into a situation where the road is too narrow. Maps might not always help in these instances.
How To Prevent Getting Lost?
You can get a map, if you can read one and hold it up the right way that’s fine, although a little tricky if alone. You can get a co pilot, someone sitting besides you who can read a map and say directions, which is handy if you need someone to blame. You can even use road signs if you have an idea where you’re going in the first place. Lastly, you can get a Sat Nav, either on your phone, built into your car or a separate Sat Nav unit.
I have a Sat Nav in the car, I use it every so often, mainly I personally use my mobile phone. One in particular I use is Waze and it’s great, it’s community run so you inform other drivers of accidents, slow traffic, police sitings and other road based hazards. It works really well, I like it so much I bought the company. That’s a joke, and people of a certain age will get it. Actually I like it so much I’m a beta tester, which means I get new versions early to test and report any bugs to Waze
However good Waze, it will get you to your destination via the quickest route, even if it means going through people’s gardens. OK, I exaggerate, BUT it will take you down any road that a car can legally travel. Which is great, I’ve lost count the amount of housing estates I’ve been through in order to miss traffic, you learn to just have faith and follow the directions. I don’t, however, want to do this with my caravan on the back!
What Do I Use When Towing?
I use a mix of two apps on my phone.
We plan our routes around France via the ViaMichelin website this gives us a good idea of where we need to go. We like to avoid altitude driving, we had a bad experience driving over the Central Massif driving at over 1000m caused us nausea, you might be ok, but we avoid it.
ViaMichelin app and website are very useful and we have used the app once on the motorways, but, as with Waze it doesn’t allow for the fact that you’re towing a caravan, at least not whilst driving. It will estimate times and will alter these if you say you’re towing a caravan, at least on the website anyway.
So, the name tells you everything you need to know right? I have a caravan and I want to navigate – result! So, what makes this different from an ordinary Sat Nav systems? Well, the app lets you enter the details of your caravan (or motorhome) such as length, width and height. The idea being that the software will take this into account when planning the route on your behalf.
It’s very easy to use, although as always there’s room for improvement. The graphics could be better, but that’s really a person thing with me, it just looks a bit dated.
Entering Caravan / MotorHome Details
Having just said it’s easy to use, entering caravan / motorhome dimensions isn’t all that obvious. So here’s how to do it.
This is the first screen you get when starting the app. Select New Destination (I know, strange, you select this to set it up)
Next you select the “routing” icon at the bottom (second from left)
Then select Vehicle Routing Profiles
Then top right select “New”
After this select Car, Caravan, (Motorhome) etc from the screen above.
Then from the screen below select “Caravan Dimensions” this is also used for Motorhomes
Then enter your details :
Hit the back button and save, you can give it a name, ours is Cartagena, as rather unoriginally this is the model of our caravan!
If You Don’t Use A Mobile Phone?
There are plenty of options for Caravan Sat Navs on Amazon, if you want a dedicated unit, or don’t use a mobile phone.
- 【9 inch Dedicated Sat Nav】9 inch large touch screen react fast with no delay. The color feels natural, comfortable for your eyes. Unique brand AWESAFE company designed, coming with suction cup Bracket for sat nav. (PS: It must work relying GPS signal, please first to look for GPS signal outdoors and till to show the status as "active".)
- 【Lifetime Map Updated for Free】Pre-loaded Map for 48 european countries including UK&Ireland, the device cannot update by itself. Install and update Maps at no extra cost, for the useful lifetime of your sat nav for the european countries. There are 2D/3D maps for options, 3D map helps you place your position with the real world,easier to identify surrounding services.No need to worry about the complex viaduct and the maze crossing.
- 【7 Vehicle Modes】Prepare for exits and intersections by clearly highlighting the best driving lane for your planned route, you'll never miss a turn or have to make sudden lane crossings. Provide 7 vehicle modes between Car/ Truck/ Pedestrian/ Bicycle/ Emergency/ Bus/ Taxi, customize better routes for you and avoid roads such as width/height/weight restrictions.
- 【Car GPS Function】Support Postcode, Address, Coordinates, Favorite and POI Search. 4 Routes Options: Fast/Green/Short/Easy. Support GPS time or Map time setting. Support FM broadcast, but FM not mean FM radio, just for transferring the gps sound to your car.Providing Intelligent Current Speed Camera Alerts, Sound Warning, Route Planning, Street Names Broadcast, Current Speed and Active Lane Assistant, Display Remaining Distance, telling Estimated Arrival Time.
- 【Portable Easy to Use】Dedicated GPS navigators display current street, current speed, speed limit and arrival time. Packing List: Sat Nav Car Charger USB Cable Clip Holder Suction Cup Bracket 3M Sticky Adhesive Pad User Manual (PS: Suggest to stick on Dashboard or Steer wheel Controls)
- Camper and Caravan Routing: Get customised routes for your camper or caravan
- Updates via Wi-Fi: Get the latest maps and software for your TomTom GO CAMPER with built-in Wi-Fi; no computer needed
- Camper and Caravan POIs: Find detailed points of interest dedicated for campers and caravans. Display resolution: 800 x 480
- TomTom Road Trips: Discover the world's best routes, personalise them easily so you can relax and be guided on the ride
- TomTom MyDrive: Plan routes, check live traffic and save favourites from your smartphone, tablet or PC
- 【World Maps & Free Lifetime Update】Pre-Installed with the latest 2020 Europe UK Ireland maps. Maps of Australia,NZ,USA or Canada is available to install free anytime. You are suggested to update maps every season.
- 【FREE UPGRADE】Latest touchscreen technology, no need for styluses, HD display providing clearer viewing for poor eyesight, can be seen in bright sun light, say goodbye to silly sunshades, built-in FM transmitter can provide GPS sound to your car stereo.Please note:Get the latest map by connecting OHREX Sat Nav to the Windows pc. You can also use an exteranl TF Card for map update (with Mac & Windows system).
- 【BLUETOOTH HANDS-FREE CALLING】Bluetooth will allow you to connect your mobile phone to the SAT NAVS, synchronise your mobile phone book and make phone calls more convenient, will support connection to the reversing camera.
- 【NAVIGATION FEATURES】(1) Supports Postcodes, Address, Coordinates & POI, (2) Driver Alerts, Active Speed Camera Detection, Street name Broadcasting, Current Speed, Lane Guidance & Estimated Arrival Time, (3) Intelligent Route Planning Fast & Economical, (4) Turn-By-Turn Real Voice Broadcast in over 40 Languages (5) Automatic Day & Night Mode Switching, (6) Multiple Vehicle Modes - Car, Truck, Motorhome, Bicycle, Emergency, Bus and Taxi, (7) Fast & Accurate GPS Tracking (6)Firmly Mounting bracket
- 【UK LOCAL SOLUTION】Ohrex supply regular maps upgrades and any question inquiry for sat navs. British local brand, established professional technician team in London, has been recognized by hundreds of thousands of consumers.
- Custom routing and trip planning for the size and weight of your camper, motorhome or towable trailer
- Free Lifetime Map Updates for the UK, Ireland and Full Europe (45 countries) and Free Digital Traffic to keep you updated and moving. Display size: 15.2 x 8.9 cm; 6.95 inch diagonal (17.7 cm)
- Specialised sat navigation for caravans and motorhomes with large, easy-to-read 6.95-inch edge-to-edge touchscreen display and Wi-Fi for easy map and software updates
- 【9 inch Sat Nav with Sunshade】9 inch large touch screen react fast with no delay. The color feels natural, comfortable for your eyes. Unique designed with sun cover for sat nav, effectively block the sunlight in day and avoid reflection at night. So it's very easy to see directions and navigate without being churned up
- 【Real Voice Navigation】Providing Intelligent Current Speed Camera Alerts, Sound Warning, Route Planning, Street Names Broadcast, Current Speed and Active Lane Assistant, Display Remaining Distance, telling Estimated Arrival Time.You do not have to constantly look at the navigation screen to be safer
- 【Intelligent Navigation】 It changed / calculated the new route very fast when we made mistakes. If driving on the highway, it shows really clear direction / lanes, how to leave the highway or change the lane to another highway, do not have to worry about getting lost again.
- 【Stable GPS Signal】 Sat Nav GPS Quickly locate your current location, the device can quickly receive signals without delay. The navigation system uses the latest European map of 2019. Even if your mobile phone is no longer working in remote areas, this navigation is still You guide the destination in front of you
- 【Lifetime Map Updated for Free】Lifetime Maps for over 52 european countries including UK, Install and update Maps at no extra cost, for the useful lifetime of your sat nav for the european countries. There are 2D/3D maps for options, 3D map helps you place your position with the real world,easier to identify surrounding services.No need to worry about the complex viaduct and the maze crossing.
- SPECIAL OFFER PRICE*** Free map updates for life. Preloaded with the latest Motorhome & Caravan specialist street level mapping covering all of Europe and the UK. Enter the attributes of your vehicle and RV700 DVR will calculate a safe and trustworthy route avoiding weight, height and width restrictions. Works straight out of the box. No registration required. Free wireless updates.
- Includes extensive Specialist POIs. Over 30,000 caravan sites, campsites and motorhome stopover locations including The Caravan Club, Camping and Caravanning Club, Bordatlas, ACSI, Camperstop plus thousands more all preloaded and ready to use.
- Junction view and Lane view. Advanced visual warning of the next junction or major intersection. Plus, Text to speech (TTS) directional voice alerts including road name or number. For safer navigation.
- Speed trap & speed limit alert system with FREE wireless updates. Advance warning of all types of fixed speed traps and mobile speed trap hotspots available from Aguri’s all new Speedshield speed trap data services. Plus, displays the speed limit of most roads across Europe at all times. Comes preloaded with the latest Speedshield speed trap database so you can start using it straight out of the box.
- Built-in DVR dash cam. Prove what really happened and protect your no claims bonus with Aguri’s fully integrated 1080P High Definition DVR dash cam.
In an ideal world I’d like to be able to enter my caravan size into Waze, but it doesn’t support it. So, for now I’m using a mix of ViaMichelin and CoPilot. ViaMichelin is great for planning routes and CoPilot helps avoid small roads. Of course, CoPilot has tried to take me down a road that I consider to small, however, the caravan would have fitted down the road, but I wouldn’t have been able to turn around, or rather any on coming traffic would have been a problem, so you still need your wits about you.
What I did last year, going to the South Of France was to plan the overall route on ViMichelin website, make sure CoPilot took us a similar route. I use CoPilot if I think there’s likely to be some narrow roads, but ViaMichelin is good enough for motorway driving.
At the end of the day you can just use CoPilot as most of the time it does a good enough job.
*Last update on 2020-02-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API