Do I need Towing Mirrors?
Do I need Caravan Towing Mirrors? Yes, is the straight forward answer. If you’re towing a vehicle that’s wider than the car, you need extended wing mirrors.
What’s The Law?
Failure to comply with the law on wing mirrors has a maximum fine of £1,000 and 3 penalty points. A quote from https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/trailer-and-towing-equipment
You must have an adequate view of the road behind you.
Fit suitable towing mirrors if your trailer or caravan is wider than the rear of your car.
What Do You Need To See?
Apart from it being a legal requirement, it’s just common sense. If you tow a caravan, which is wider than your car, you won’t be able to see down the sides of the caravan when towing. The diagram below gives you the distances involved with and without towing mirrors.
Different Types of Caravan Towing Mirrors
There are several different types of caravan towing mirrors as can be seen below. Ranging in price.
Stick On Towing Mirrors
- TWIN PACK: This twin towing mirror includes one flat and one convex mirror. Ideal for towing caravans and trailers.
- EASY INSTALLATION: This towing mirror installs onto your vehicle’s wing mirror in a matter of seconds. Just use the unique suction mount to mount it to the wing mirror for improved visibility.
- AERODYNAMICALLY DESIGNED: This towing mirror has been rigorously tested to windstand speeds of up to 120mph.
- FULLY COMPLIANT: This towing mirror conforms to E11 regulations.
- A must for caravan & trailer towing!
Strap On Towing Mirrors
Bracket Style Caravan Towing Mirrors
- EXTENDED VISION MIRRORS: Some basic additions are often needed in the form of automotive accessories to boost road safety. Streetwize brings you the Extended Side View Mirrors as a perfect example of boosted safety when driving towed trailers, etc.
- WIDER RANGE VISION: This twin towing mirror pack contains x1 Flat Mirror and x1 Convex Mirror. The exterior mirrors provide wider range of vision to the driver. The pack contains 6 side-view mirrors. The side mirrors provide a broader view of traffic for safe towing.
- EASY ADJUSTING & MOUNTING: You can easily fit these dual vision mirrors on top of the existing side view mirrors using the attached strong synthetic fastenings. The extended view mirrors comply with all road safety rules, ensuring you can drive without any penalizations.
- PERFECT FIT FOR ALL: Be it a caravan, mini bus, sedan, coupe, or sports car, these twin mirrors will be a perfect fit for most vehicles out there. The safety towing mirrors are ideal to be used with both offside and nearside car wing mirrors of the vehicles.
- SMART AUTO ACCESSORY: The extended view mirrors conform to E11 regulations that are acceptable across the UK. The clip-on mirrors are easy to adjust even when you are seated inside the vehicle and provide visibility across blind spots.
There are of course many different makers of caravan towing mirrors and we’ve been through several in our 13-year caravan adventure.
Best Selling Caravan Towing Mirrors
- ►►360 ° EXTENDED VIEW：The RV rearview mirror will not obstruct the view of your existing rearview mirror. It can rotate 90 degrees vertically and horizontally, and the mirror surface can rotate 360 degrees from multiple angles, providing a wider view. It is the perfect tool to view the surrounding road conditions. The adjustable rearview mirror has a 360 degree sphere and base adjustment, providing you with a larger field of view.
- ►►UNIVERSAL MODEL：The use of additional rearview mirrors in cars is simple and requires no tools. Simply tighten the screws and fix the mirrors properly. RV auxiliary mirrors are widely used in most large vehicles, such as SUVs, trailers, RVs, vans, RVs, trucks, etc. Universal installation allows you to better observe your surroundings and improve your safety on the road.
- ►►SAFE DRIVING GUARANTEE：The clip type rearview mirror can provide maximum clamping force, and the built-in adjustable bracket and shoulder strap can effectively reduce vibration, ensuring the stability and driving safety of the rearview mirror, bringing a more comfortable and noiseless driving experience. Installation is fast and easy with fixtures. The multi-purpose mirror angle can be achieved by rotating or rotating the trailer lens.
- ►►DURABLE AND STURDY DESIGN：ABS plastic shell, high-definition glass, solid metal mirror rod. These automotive rear-view mirrors have been tested for quality, durability, aerodynamics and superior performance in strong winds. ABS material is high-quality and sturdy, not easily deformed, and has a long service life; Glass is transparent, providing a beautiful scenery.
- ►►PACKAGING INCLUDES：2 extended rearview mirrors for towing trailers. The extended rearview mirror complies with all road safety regulations, ensuring that you can drive without any penalties. We provide professional customer service. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave us a message and we are always at your service.
- Set of two convex mirrors
- Very efficient
- Easy to use
- 【360° Vision Expansion】Adjustable Towing Mirror has 360°multi-angle, providing a wider field of vision. The caravan rearview mirror will not block the view of your existing mirror. External wing mirror can give you more peace of mind and confidence while driving.
- 【Safe Driving】The trailer mirror can provide maximum clamping force for easy adaptation to all standard vehicle types. The included adjustable bracket and shoulder strap can effectively reduce vibration, guarantee the stability of the caravan mirror. Towing Mirror can be adapted to different models.
- 【Easy Installation】Caravan mirrors of the car has an easy use method, no tools required. Just tighten the screws to fix the mirror in place. Multiple mirror angles can be achieved by swiveling or swiveling the caravan tow lens.
- 【Quality Material】Towing mirrors are made of ABS and glass. ABS material is high quality and strong, not easy to deform, durable. Towing mirrors provide a large field of view for clearer driving.
- 【Wide Application】This trailer towong mirror is suitable for most large vehicles, such as SUV, RV, Trailer, Jeep, Truck, Camper, Caravan, Mobile home car and more. Universal RV Caravan Camper Trailer Rearview Mirror.
- EASY: The Falcon Safety Mirror is simple to fit
- SAFETY: It meets all the latest Safety Regulations for Towing Mirrors
- FLEXIBLE: The tensioning straps and handles means it can be adjusted to fit most typical traditional car mirrors
- QUALITY: Genuine Milenco quality
- 🚐【Vision Expansion】The towing mirror effectively helps expand your vision and narrow the blind spot. An auxiliary rearview mirror can make driving much safer, give you more confidence while driving.
- 🚐【360° Rotation】The caravan rearview mirror will not block the view of your existing reversing mirror. The mirror surface can be rotated at 360° and can be used vertically or horizontally, flexibly meeting your different viewing angle needs.
- 🚐【Durable Material】MaxEarn towing mirror is composed of ABS plastic shell, high-definition glass, metal mirror pole. Sturdy and durable, not easy to deform, keep stable in car driving.
- 🚐【Easy to Install】No tools required, with snap closure. The trailer mirror can be attached to the original rearview mirror of most large vehicles by simply adjusting the screw. The clamping device provides maximum clamping force and guarantees stability.
- 🚐【Universal Compatibility】The trailer towing mirror is designed to attach to the rearview mirror of most large vehicles, such as SUV, RV, Jeep, truck, camper, caravan, mobile home and more.
What Do CaravanVlogger Recommend?
The mirrors we use are the following:
- The Grand Aero mirror features a unique air balanced design that prevents vibrations and fits any car, 4×4 model and van thanks to the versatile claw system. Without strap.
As you can see Milenco Grand Aero Convex Mirrors are not the cheapest. We’ve had cheaper mirrors and have used both stick on and strap on ones. The stick on ones can fall off and were prone to being unsteady. The Milenco mirrors we use are rock steady with very little movement. You can easily get spare, we broke a mirror recently and was able to just buy the mirror itself, without the added expense of buying a set, when we only needed one.
We use convex glass, you can get flat glass as well, these may suit you better. I personally don’t like them because they mess with how distances look and you don’t get a true idea of how close something is. It’s a personal choice thing of course. With flat mirror, everything appears closer and with convex you get a view that you’d be used to with your own car mirrors.
By mistake I did buy a flat glass mirror recently and used it, through no choice, on a recent trip. For me it was a nightmare, I got a lovely close up view of the caravan, but there was no “width” at all, I couldn’t see the wheels on the caravan and did hit a kerb!
*Last update on 2024-02-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API