Do I need Towing Mirrors?
Do I need Caravan Towing Mirrors? Yes, is the straight forward answer. If you’re towing a vehicle that’s wider than the car, you need extended wing mirrors.
What’s The Law?
Failure to comply with the law on wing mirrors has a maximum fine of £1,000 and 3 penalty points. A quote from https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/trailer-and-towing-equipment
You must have an adequate view of the road behind you.
Fit suitable towing mirrors if your trailer or caravan is wider than the rear of your car.
What Do You Need To See?
Apart from it being a legal requirement, it’s just common sense. If you tow a caravan, which is wider than your car, you won’t be able to see down the sides of the caravan when towing. The diagram below gives you the distances involved with and without towing mirrors.
Different Types of Caravan Towing Mirrors
There are several different types of caravan towing mirrors as can be seen below. Ranging in price.
Stick On Towing Mirrors
- STICK-ON VISION MIRRORS: Streetwize brings you the Extended Side View Mirrors that ensure expanded view as you drive on the road. The automotive accessories have durable and aerodynamic design that stays stable and ensure low vibration.
- WIDER RANGE VISION: This twin towing mirror pack contains x1 Flat Mirror and x1 Convex Mirror. The exterior mirrors provide wider range of vision to the driver. The pack contains 12 side-view mirrors. The side mirrors provide a broader view of traffic for safe towing.
- EASY ADJUSTING & MOUNTING: You can easily fit these dual vision mirrors on top of the existing side view mirrors using the attached strong synthetic fastenings. The extended view mirrors come complete with safety cord for peace of mind.
- PERFECT FIT FOR ALL: Be it a caravan, mini bus, sedan, coupe, or sports car, these twin mirrors will be a perfect fit for most vehicles out there. The safety towing mirrors are ideal to be used with both offside and nearside car wing mirrors of the vehicles.
- SMART AUTO ACCESSORY: The extended view mirrors conform to E11 regulations that are acceptable across the UK. The clip-on mirrors are easy to adjust even when you are seated inside the vehicle and provide visibility across blind spots.
Strap On Towing Mirrors
Bracket Style Caravan Towing Mirrors
- 1 x Flat Mirror & 1 x Convex Mirror for a wider field of vision
- Universal design fits most standard car mirrors
- Fitted in seconds
- Quick and easy to adjust from inside your vehicle
- Strong synthetic fastenings ensure secure mounting
There are of course many different makers of caravan towing mirrors and we’ve been through several in our 13-year caravan adventure.
Best Selling Caravan Towing Mirrors
- Quality Maypole Products
- Milenco Grand Aero Mirror in 2007 Milenco Limited trailer has written the book on the more when they launched the award winning Aero Towing Mirror.
- The Aero Mirror offers a towing stability at high speed. It was also the first mirror to meet the new pedestrian safety standards and comply with European standards. The large mirror offers all the benefits of the original Aero Aero, the view as possible, with very high stability.
- As you expect from Milenco, this is a product of very high quality, made with the best materials available. The clamping screw made of stainless steel and brass, ride, no matter how many times you wash corrodent, and the mirror is chromed with safety glass. The head is the largest ever used on a caravan trailer mirror, and has been specifically designed to very stable, with a shape that allows you to see far from your caravan and cars in three rounds on the motorway. Like the Aero Mirror, the Grand Aero trailer trailer suitable for all cars, 4 x 4 and vans produced since 1995.
- Large dual glass towing mirror that extends your field of vision
- Robust and durable construction Fits most large vehicles mirrors
- Especially recommended for 4x4's / MPV's
- Convex and flat dual mirrors Use in either orientation
- Full European approval
- 1 item.
- Very efficient.
- Easy to use.
What Do CaravanVlogger Recommend?
The mirrors we use are the following:
- The Grand Aero mirror features a unique air-balanced design that prevents vibration and fits on any car, 4x4 model and van thanks to the versatile claw system. Without strap.
As you can see Milenco Grand Aero Convex Mirrors are not the cheapest. We’ve had cheaper mirrors and have used both stick on and strap on ones. The stick on ones can fall off and were prone to being unsteady. The Milenco mirrors we use are rock steady with very little movement. You can easily get spare, we broke a mirror recently and was able to just buy the mirror itself, without the added expense of buying a set, when we only needed one.
We use convex glass, you can get flat glass as well, these may suit you better. I personally don’t like them because they mess with how distances look and you don’t get a true idea of how close something is. It’s a personal choice thing of course. With flat mirror, everything appears closer and with convex you get a view that you’d be used to with your own car mirrors.
By mistake I did buy a flat glass mirror recently and used it, through no choice, on a recent trip. For me it was a nightmare, I got a lovely close up view of the caravan, but there was no “width” at all, I couldn’t see the wheels on the caravan and did hit a kerb!
*Last update on 2020-06-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API