For many people, caravanning is the ultimate way to explore the UK’s scenic beauty and experience the joys of the great outdoors. Whether you’re a seasoned caravanner or a newbie, one thing’s for sure – a caravan TV is an essential piece of equipment that can make your trips all the more enjoyable. For many, it’s one of the most important caravan accessories
But with so many options available in the market, choosing the right television for your caravan can be a daunting task. That’s why we’ve put together this guide to help you make an informed decision.
In this article, we’ll look at the different types of caravan TVs available in the UK, their features, and what you need to consider before making a purchase.
Types of Caravan TVs in the UK
1. Portable TVs
Portable TVs are a popular choice among caravanners because they are lightweight and easy to move around. Here are some features to consider when choosing a portable caravan TV:
- Screen size: A smaller screen size is ideal for a portable TV, as it will be easier to transport and will not take up too much space in your caravan.
- Power source: Look for a TV that can be powered by batteries or a 12-volt DC adapter so you can use it even when no mains power is available.
- Built-in Freeview: Many portable TVs come with built-in Freeview, which means you can access all your favourite channels without needing an external aerial or satellite dish.
2. 12-volt TVs
If you’re looking for a TV that can be powered by your caravan’s battery, a 12-volt TV is the way to go. Here are some features to consider when choosing a 12-volt caravan TV:
- Screen size: As with portable TVs, a smaller screen size is ideal for a 12-volt TV to conserve battery power.
- Power consumption: Look for a TV with low power consumption so that it doesn’t drain your caravan’s battery too quickly.
- Built-in Freeview and satellite tuner: Many 12-volt TVs come with built-in Freeview and a satellite tuner, which means you can access a wide range of channels even when you’re on the move.
3. Smart TVs
Smart TVs are becoming increasingly popular among caravanners because they allow you to access the internet and streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime. Here are some features to consider when choosing a smart TV:
- Screen size: Smart TVs are available in a range of sizes, so choose one that fits your caravan’s space and your viewing preferences.
- Connectivity: Look for a TV with Wi-Fi connectivity so that you can easily connect to the internet and streaming services.
- Apps and features: Check what apps and features are available on the TV, such as built-in Netflix and Amazon Prime apps, screen mirroring, and voice control.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Caravan TV
1. Screen Size
The screen size of your caravan TV is an important consideration, as it will impact your viewing experience and the amount of space the TV takes up in your caravan. Here are some factors to consider when choosing a screen size:
- Caravan size: The size of your caravan will determine the maximum screen size you can comfortably accommodate.
- Viewing distance: The viewing distance is the distance between the TV and your seating area. A larger screen size may require a greater viewing distance to ensure
- Personal preference: Ultimately, the screen size you choose will depend on your personal preference and viewing habits. Some people may prefer a smaller screen for a more intimate viewing experience, while others may prefer a larger screen for a cinematic experience.
2. Caravan TV Picture Quality
The picture quality of your caravan TV is another important factor to consider. Here are some terms you should be familiar with when choosing a TV based on its picture quality:
- Resolution: This refers to the number of pixels on the screen. The higher the resolution, the sharper and more detailed the picture will be. Common resolutions for caravan TVs include HD (720p), Full HD (1080p), and 4K (2160p).
- Refresh rate: This refers to the number of times per second the image on the screen is refreshed. A higher refresh rate results in smoother motion, which is especially important for watching sports and action movies.
- Contrast ratio: This refers to the difference between the brightest and darkest parts of the image. A higher contrast ratio results in more vivid and lifelike colors.
3. Audio Quality
While the picture quality is important, don’t forget about the audio quality of your caravan TV. Here are some factors to consider:
- Built-in speakers: Some TVs have built-in speakers, while others require external speakers for better audio quality.
- Audio output: Look for a TV with a headphone jack or Bluetooth connectivity if you want to connect external speakers or headphones.
- Sound modes: Some TVs have preset sound modes, such as movie or music, that are optimized for specific types of content.
The portability of your caravan TV is an important factor to consider, especially if you plan on moving it around frequently. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Weight: Choose a TV that is lightweight and easy to carry, especially if you plan on taking it outside of your caravan.
- Mounting options: Look for a TV that can be mounted on a wall or bracket, as this will save valuable floor space in your caravan.
- Durability: Choose a TV that is durable and can withstand the vibrations and bumps of travel.
FAQs About Caravan TVs UK
Q: Do I need a TV licence for my caravan TV in the UK?
A: Yes, you need a TV licence to watch or record live TV in the UK, even if you’re using a portable or 12-volt TV in your caravan.
Q: Can I use my home TV in my caravan?
A: While it is technically possible to use your home TV in your caravan, it is not recommended. Home TVs are designed for use in a stationary environment and may not be able to withstand the vibrations and bumps of travel.
Q: Do I need a satellite dish for my TV?
A: If you want to access satellite TV channels in your caravan, you will need a satellite dish and a compatible receiver. It’s probably more common now to connect your TV to the internet either directly or via something like an Amazon Firestick.
Choosing the perfect caravan TV in the UK doesn’t have to be a daunting task. By considering factors like screen size, picture quality, audio quality, and portability, you can find a TV that meets your needs and enhances your caravanning experience.
Whether you opt for a portable TV, a 12-volt TV, or a smart TV, choose a reliable brand with good customer reviews. And don’t forget to get a TV licence if you plan on watching live TV in your caravan. Happy caravanning!
Amazon’s Best Selling Caravan TVs
- Perfect for portable use in Caravans, Motor Homes, Boats & Trucks. 12v/24v in Car Charger & 3 pin UK / EU Plug Included
- SHARP 24″ LED smart television: Stunning HD clarity and vibrant colours, for all your favourite content. The TV’s classic black finish, with remote…
- Plenty of ports: With 3 x HDMI, USB, Component, Composite, Headphone Jack and Digital Optical Audio ports. It can be used on a table top/stand/TV unit…
- Live TV or catch up: Enjoy Netflix, YouTube, and BBC iPlayer apps. Screen share with your smart device using Miracast. Freeview Play is live and on…
- A slim, compact TV with a multitude of features: Such as DTS TruSurround, Freeview HD and USB Media player. Ideal for use at home or on the move.
- FHD: Your RCA 22″ TV has a resolution of 1920*1080, which reproduces every detail finely, makes the image clearer, and allows you to discover every…
- RCA 22″ Caravan TV: Your RCA 22″ FHD Travel TV compatible with 12V power cord, so it can be powered by a 12V power supply in a motorhome, caravan or…
- Various Extension Interfaces: This compact and portable RCA TV has 1 HDMI port, 1 VGA port, 1 MINI AV Inputface, 1 USB Input. Various interfaces allow…
- Clear Vision: RCA TV uses high-quality LED panels and enhanced input signals, which can effectively solve the problems of noise, smear, and afterimage…
- 2 Installation Methods: This RCA 22″ TV comes with 2 bottom brackets and also supports wall mounting, making it ideal in the kitchen, lounge, game…
- ⚡ Lightning-Fast Performance with WebOS by LG: Experience up to 100% faster streaming app performance with our powerful WebOS. Our TVs are equipped…
- 🌟 Sleek and Slim Design: Measuring 22inches diagonally, with outer dimensions of 20 inches in length and 13 inches in height, it seamlessly fits…
- 📻 Keep Yourself Entertained with Preinstalled Apps: Immerse yourself in a world of entertainment with multiple streaming applications options:…
- 🔌 One TV, Versatile Connections: With an impressive voltage range spanning from 10v to 27v DC, our TV seamlessly connects to a variety of vehicles…
- 🖇️ Universal Compatibility with Various Devices: Our TV comes equipped with 3 HDMI ports, 1 Optical port, 1 RF port, and 2 USB ports. This…
- 12 volt 24” HD Ready widescreen LED TV/DVD
- Built-in Digital HD Freeview Channels
- Built-in satellite tuner
- Built-in DVD Player
- HDMI input for your external devices and consoles
- 2022 year model. 22 Inch DIGITAL LED Full HD 240v / 12v TV.
- IDEAL FOR: Motorhome, Campervan, Caravan, Lorry, Truck, Boats, Home powered by 12 volt DC or 240V AC (both power leads included). 24V power adapter…
- TRIPLE TUNER: DVB-T/T2 tuner for Freeview HD, and all Europe Free to The Air TV. DVB-S2 tuner for Satellite HD TV. Built In CI+ for Pay TV…
- USB MEDIA PLAYER and PVR: watching movies, viewing pictures and listening to music from a USB storage.
- VESA 100 x 100 mm for wall mounting bracket. Low power consumption (19W).
- 2022 YEAR MODEL: Smart Ready TV Connect your smart phone, tablet, iPad via screen mirroring technology. 15.4″ DIGITAL LED TV: with DVB-T/T2 for…
- IDEAL FOR: Motorhome, Campervan, Caravan, Lorry, Truck, Boats, Home as it can be powered by 12volt DC or 240V AC (both power leads included). It…
- SMART READY TV: AnyCast/ MiraCast is the Smart Phone or Tablet screen mirroring/sharing to another, usually larger, screen. This will let you to enjoy…
- MEDIA PLAYER: Possibility of watching movies of various video formats (AVI, MKV, MP4), viewing pictures (JPEG, BMP) and listening to music (MP3, WMA)…
- COMPACT, SMALL, PORTABLE and LIGHTWEIGHT: The dimensions of this model are: 360x34x240 mm, weight 1.1 kg. Combo – comes with FREE wall/ceiling bracket…
- Cello 22″ Freeview HD TV With Satellite Tuner, Built-in DVD Player
- Built in satellite tuner DVB-S2 if you lose terrestrial signal or travelling abroad
- You can take your Cello 12 volt Caravan TV on the road as it works in caravans, motorhomes, boats and HGV vehicles
- This slim 12 volt Cello LED TV comes with a centre pedestal, can also be wall mounted making it suitable for hanging in the caravan, boat or HGV
- Buying a British made Cello TV you have peace of mind that help and advice is just a phone call or email away, because our friendly customer service…
- 22inch TV supports digital T2 tuner H.256 Freeview
- HDMI & USB ports. Support DVD player,&media player: you can watch movies in various video formats (AVI, MKV, VOB), view pictures (JPEG, BMP) and…
- Interfaces:The TV has 1 HDMI port, 1 VGA port, 1 AV input port, 1 USB input port, 1 headphone port, and a variety of ports that allow you to plug in…
- High Definition: 22inch TV uses high-quality LED panels, which can effectively solve the problems of noise, smear, and afterimage of the picture, so…
- Package: 22-inch TV, remote control, adapter, manual
- ✅ FULL HD SMART TV – With built-in HD satellite decoder producing brilliant clarity and vivid details that amaze, even when viewed up close….
- ✅ ULTRA COMPACT DESIGN – Completely immerse yourself in the action with this edge to edge frameless design with crystal clear sound. Wi-Fi…
- ✅ WIRELESSLY CASTING – Cast from your mobile device to the AVTEX Smart TV, compatible with both Apple (iOS) and Android devices, gives you the…
- ✅ FEATURES – DVBT & DVBT2 Digital Terrestrial Tuner use for aerials and DVB-S & DVB-S2 Digital Satellite Tuner use for dishes. Wi-Fi, 2.4 and…
- ✅ WARRANTY – We are so confident that we provide an unconditional 3 Year Manufacturers Warranty. Ensures long life and great value for money. BUY…
- FULL HD SMART TV – With built-in HD satellite decoder producing brilliant clarity and vivid details that amaze, even when viewed up close. Delivers…
- ULTRA COMPACT DESIGN – Completely immerse yourself in the action with this edge to edge frameless design with crystal clear sound. Wi-Fi built-in…
- WIRELESSLY CASTING – Cast from your mobile device to the AVTEX Smart TV, compatible with both Apple (iOS) and Android devices, gives you the ability…
- FEATURES – DVBT & DVBT2 Digital Terrestrial Tuner use for aerials and DVB-S & DVB-S2 Digital Satellite Tuner use for dishes. Powered by 12v / 24v DC…
- WARRANTY – We are so confident that we provide an unconditional 3 Year Manufacturers Warranty. Ensures long life and great value for money. BUY NOW!
What type of TV is best for a caravan?
When it comes to choosing a TV for your caravan, there are a few factors to consider to ensure that you get the best viewing experience possible. One of the most important factors to consider is the size of the TV. A smaller screen size is generally better for caravans as it is more compact and easier to transport, while still providing a good viewing experience. A screen size of around 22-24 inches is ideal for most caravans, as it is small enough to fit comfortably in the space available, but large enough to provide a clear and detailed image.
Another important factor to consider when choosing a TV for your caravan is the type of TV. There are several different types of TVs available, including portable TVs, 12-volt TVs, and smart TVs. Portable and 12-volt TVs are ideal for caravans as they are designed to be compact and lightweight, making them easy to transport and use on the go. Smart TVs, on the other hand, offer a range of advanced features such as internet connectivity and streaming services, but may be more expensive and require a stable internet connection to work properly. Ultimately, the type of TV that is best for your caravan will depend on your personal preferences and needs.
Do you need a special TV for caravan?
While it is not strictly necessary to have a special TV for a caravan, there are several reasons why it may be beneficial. One of the main advantages of having a TV specifically designed for use in a caravan is that it will be more compact and lightweight, making it easier to transport and store. Additionally, many caravan TVs are designed to run on 12-volt power, which is the same power source used in most caravans. This means that you can easily power your TV using the existing electrical system in your caravan, without the need for additional adapters or converters.
Another advantage of having a TV specifically designed for use in a caravan is that it will often be more durable and resistant to vibration and shocks. Caravans can be subject to a lot of movement and vibrations, particularly when driving on uneven roads or rough terrain. A TV specifically designed for use in a caravan will be able to withstand these conditions better than a regular TV, which may be more susceptible to damage or malfunction. Overall, while it is possible to use a regular TV in a caravan, a specially designed TV may offer several portability, power consumption, and durability advantages.
What size TV should I get for my caravan?
The size of the TV you should get for your caravan will depend on a variety of factors, including the size of your caravan and your personal preferences. In general, a smaller screen size is preferable for caravans, as it will be more compact and easier to transport, while still providing a good viewing experience. A screen size of around 22-24 inches is ideal for most caravans, as it is small enough to fit comfortably in the space available, but large enough to provide a clear and detailed image. However, it is important to consider the layout of your caravan and the viewing distance from the TV when selecting a screen size. Ultimately, the size of the TV you choose should be based on your personal needs and preferences, as well as the specific requirements of your caravan.
Can any TV go in a caravan?
Technically, any TV can be used in a caravan as long as it is compatible with the power source available and can fit comfortably in the available space. However, there are several factors to consider when selecting a TV for use in a caravan, including size, weight, power consumption, and durability. A TV specifically designed for use in a caravan may be more compact and lightweight, making it easier to transport and store. Additionally, caravan TVs may be designed to run on 12-volt power, the same power source used in most caravans. This can make it easier to power the TV using the existing electrical system in your caravan. Ultimately, while any TV can technically be used in a caravan, it is important to consider your caravan’s specific needs and requirements when selecting a TV to ensure that you get the best viewing experience possible.
*Last update on 2024-02-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API