As any seasoned caravanner will tell you, having the right equipment is crucial for a successful and enjoyable trip. A caravan awning is one of the most essential caravan accessories you’ll need. Not only does it provide you with extra living space, but it also protects you from the elements and gives you a bit of privacy.
However, with so many types and styles of awnings on the market, it can take time to decide which one is right for you. That’s where this guide comes in. We’ll walk you through everything you need to know to choose the perfect full caravan awning for your next adventure.
What is a full caravan awning?
Before we dive into the different types of full caravan awnings, let’s first define what a full caravan awning is. Simply put, a full caravan awning is a tent-like structure that attaches to the side of your caravan, providing you with additional living space.
A full caravan awning typically has a frame of lightweight materials such as aluminium or fibreglass. The tent fabric is constructed of durable, waterproof material such as PVC or polyester. They can come in various sizes, ranging from small porch awnings to large full-length awnings that cover the entire length of your caravan.
Types of full caravan awnings
Several types of full caravan awnings are available on the market, each with its unique features and benefits. Here are some of the most popular types:
- Porch awnings: As the name suggests, they are smaller than full-length awnings and attach to the front of your caravan, creating a small porch area. They’re a great option if you need extra sheltered space for things like cooking or storing your gear.
- Full-length awnings: Full-length awnings are the largest type of caravan awning and run the entire length of your caravan. They’re great if you plan on staying in one place for an extended period and need a lot of extra living space.
Factors to consider when choosing a full caravan awning
Now that you have a better understanding of the different types of full caravan awnings available let’s talk about some of the factors you should consider when choosing the right one for your needs.
- Size: The size of your full caravan awning is one of the most important things to consider. You’ll want to choose an awning large enough to give you the extra living space you need but not so large that it’s difficult to set up and take down.
- Materials: The materials used to make your awning will also play a big role in its durability and longevity. Look for awnings made from high-quality materials that are waterproof, UV-resistant, and breathable.
- Ease of use: Setting up and taking down your awning can be a time-consuming process, so you’ll want to choose an awning that’s easy to use. Look for features like quick-release poles and colour-coded clips that make setup a breeze.
- Price: Full caravan awnings can vary greatly in price, from budget options to high-end models. Consider your budget and what features are most important to you when making your decision.
- Weight: When travelling with a caravan, weight is always a consideration. Look for a lightweight and easy awning to transport without sacrificing durability or quality.
Tips for setting up your full caravan awning
Once you’ve chosen the perfect one for your needs, it’s time to set it up. Here are some tips to make the process as smooth and stress-free as possible:
- Before you head out on your trip, practice setting up your awning at home. This will help you familiarise yourself with the process and ensure you have all the necessary equipment.
- Ensure you have all the necessary tools and equipment before setting up your awning. This may include things like guy ropes, pegs, and a mallet.
- Always read the instructions carefully before starting to set up your awning. This will help you avoid mistakes and ensure that your awning is set up correctly.
- Consider investing in some additional accessories to make your awning more comfortable and functional. This may include things like a groundsheet, a porch awning, or an annex.
Q: Do I need a full caravan awning?
A: While it’s not strictly necessary, they can greatly enhance your camping experience. It provides you with extra living space, protection from the elements, and added privacy.
Q: How long does it take to set up a full caravan awning?
A: This can vary depending on the size and complexity of your awning, as well as your level of experience. On average, it takes around 30 minutes to set up.
Q: Can I use my full caravan awning in all weather conditions?
A: They designed to be used in various weather conditions, including rain and wind. However, taking extra precautions in severe weather is always a good idea, such as securing your awning with additional guy ropes and pegs.
A full caravan awning is an essential piece of gear for any caravanner looking to add extra living space and protection to their setup. By considering factors like size, materials, ease of use, and price, you can choose the perfect awning for your needs. And with the right tools and a little bit of practice, setting up your awning will be a breeze. So why wait? Invest in a full caravan awning today and take your camping adventures to the next level.
- Fits Caravan Heights from 235 to 250 cm
- Floor Area 390 x 240 cm
- 75D Polyester Material
- Fibreglass and Steel Frame
- Weight 11.5 kg Approx.
- Designed to fit caravans with 2.6 metres of straight horizontal awning rail measuring between 2.35 and 2.5 meters from the ground
- Floor area: 2.6 metres x 2.4 metres
- Ideal for short weekend trips
- Lichfield AirOdyssey inflatable technology allows for pole free pitching and easy erection on the caravan site (double action pump included)
- 150 D polyester fabric – waterproof, durable and reliable fabric that will keep you dry and comfortable and at 150 D it increases strength and keeps weight low
- All seams are factory taped which provides a watertight seal and the Lichfield airflow ventilation panels create a comfortable flow of air through the awning which significantly reduces condensation
- Side doors and a curved front door give multiple access options which can be unzipped at the top for enhanced ventilation
- Supplied with a foam draught pad for a neat fit, adjustable rear support poles, PVC draught skirt and two wheel arch covers, webbing storm straps, steel rock pegs and mallet and a double action AirOdyssey pump
- Easy to erect and fantastic value for money, complementing Sunncamp’s Swift Air range for 2016
- Free Pump & Gauge Free Storm Straps
- Roll up front door with canopy option
- Floor plan size: 390cm width x 240cm depth
- Height Range: 235 – 250cm
- Adjustable ladder band pegging system
- Designed to fit caravans between 235-250cm high (Ground to rail
- Pole attachment clips
- Poles: steel and fibreglass
- Weight (Approx): 6.3kg
- SunnCamp Swift Canopy 260 2017
- Easy and quick to set up awning for a caravan/camper.
- To be attached to a caravan rail cord or free standing using eyelets.
- Made of polyester with a waterproof PU coating.
- The tarpaulin can also be rolled up and secured to the caravan using loops.
- Comes with a transport cover, guy ropes and tent pegs.
- Stainless steel
- M4 x 12mm x 6.0mm diameter
- Tarpaulin Support
- Awning Marker
- Windbreak support
- Off-white PVC 12m awning rail protector
- Protects the awning rail from damage
- Helps to prevent black streaks caused by water run off
- Helps keeps your awning rail clean
- Slots inside a 6mm awning channel
*Last update on 2024-02-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API