Milenco Torque Wrench Safety Kit Review
Before I start I’d just like to say, I’ve been caravanning since 2006 and have NEVER checked my wheel nuts on caravan, or car. Once you get into your head that the wheel nuts may come loose, you simply have to check them..
“£50 for a torque wrench? Are you absolutely bonkers? You can get them for 20 quid on Amazon! The amount you’ll use it, it’s not worth it.” And this was just what I said to myself as I was unwrapping the parcel.
I could have bought one for £20 true and it would have done the job, 100%.
So why did I buy the Milenco Torque Wrench Safety Kit? Hopefully in this article I’ll be able to justify it to myself and maybe I can give you some reasons to purchase it, or indeed save 30 quid and buy the cheaper one. At this point in the article I really don’t know.
Here’s a photo of the offending piece of hardware your honour.
This bad boy is going to have to earn its keep that’s for sure. Not only will I be “torquing up” the caravan wheels (I have a twin axle so 4 wheels, just to justify the purchase a little more) but also Mrs Caravan Vlogger’s car, my car, my 2 daughter’s cars and my son’s car. Five cars and a caravan in total, that’s 20 wheels, so that’s potentially 100 wheel nuts. 100 / £50 = 0.50p per wheel. An absolute bargain, I should have bought TWO!
OK, so I’ll never be the Chancellor of the Exchequer (thankfully), but I think I’ve done a reasonable job of justifying it to myself?
Why Do I Need A Torque Wrench?
Over the past few weeks I’ve been made aware that caravan wheels can work loose. They can WHAT? I don’t know the technical reason why. I don’t know why I need to worry about my caravan wheels and not give a flying fudge about my car ones. Or maybe I should worry about the car ones? Anyway, that aside for the moment. I’ve been made aware that nuts can come loose, at about the same time there was something in the news about a caravan wheel and also on a traffic update I heard of a traffic jam due to a caravan wheel falling off. (If a wheel can fall off). That’s it, mind made up, buy a bloody torque wrench. So I did.
What is “Torque”?
You can google torque for a technical understanding if you have a mind to. Basically, torque is a measure of how tight the wheel nut is. So instead of tightening it as much as is humanly possible, you tighten with a torque wrench. You set a measurement as per recommendations by manufacturer and when you tighten, you keep going until it goes “click”.
What Did I Get In the Packet?
Rather annoyingly, as you can see from the photo, it came in the rather difficult to open plastic straight jacket. These are bad enough with small purchases, but this is quite big. I had to open it with scissors, no way you could use your bare hands.
- Torque Wrench
- Indicators (More on these later)
- Extension Bar
- 21mm Socket
- 19mm Socket
You might be able to see from the photo that it’s a “Bailey Version”, another reason why I bought it. Bailey have 19mm wheel nuts. This was partly due to my ignorance, honestly I’m an advertisers dream!
Now, I’m hoping that the 21mm is going to fit my car(s). I think I have various sockets lying around, quite possible not in my socket set case, more likely strewn around my shed, or in my office, or of course in any number of kitchen cupboards and lastly, somewhere in the caravan!
I’ve included a photo of the back as well…
On the back of the pack there are instructions on how to use it. Just as well, I’ve never used one before. I do know, however, that you use it to tighten wheel nuts to a certain “torque”. When it clicks, it is tight enough. Now, I know this because I had a tire fitted on my car a little while ago and the tire fitter had a torque wrench. However, I have never used one myself, and not set it up before either.
Just a note to anyone with a Unicorn IV; mine came with wheel nuts that need a special adapter (which was supplied) naturally I didn’t know this, until I came to use the wrench for the first time.
Ease of Use
Torque wrenches in general are very easy to use. In fact, I’ve created a video for you where I’ll tell you all about it. It’s not a technical video, so anyone can understand it.
Amazon Best Selling Torque Wrenches
- Chrome vanadium steel torque wrench with torque range of 28-210 Nm
- Includes storage case
- Includes 125 mm extension bar and 1/2" to 3/8" converter
- Set includes 1/4 "torque wrench, 46-piece socket wrench set with extension 100mm/50mm, T-handle 100 mm,1/4 "square to 1/4" hexagon adapter; 6-piece socket adapter set with storage case
- High-strength chrome vanadium steel material, polished chrome vanadium finish for long tool life
- 1/4 "Torque Wrench, Reversible Ratchet, 5-25NM. 1/4 "drive will fit all 1/4" drive sockets, ideal for small vehicles/ bikes etc.
- 46-Piece set of socket wrench set, ratchet tools with change lever, locking and quick ejection. Includes extension bar, Hex nuts 4 /4.5/5 /5.5 /6 /7 /8/9/10 /11/12 /13 /14 mm, Slotted & Phillips nuts, allen key and allen nuts, universal joint
- Socket wrench adapter set, 6-piece. Made of chrome-vanadium steel, matt chrome-plated
- 1/2“ drive torque wrench with 20-150 ft.-lb/27.1-203.5 Nm range
- Durable ratchet head made from hardened treated Chrome Vanadium steel alloy (Cr-V); bright, full polish chrome finish wipes easily clean and resists rust and corrosion
- High contrast and dual range scale pre-calibrated to ± 4%
- Includes sturdy plastic case for storage and portability
- PRECISION TORQUE MEASUREMENT - Install components with calibrated precision - 2.0 to 20.0 Newton Meter torque range with micro adjustment to 0.1. Helps ensure that the fittings on your bike are tightened to the correct torque, and that clamping forces are distributed evenly across clamping surfaces. This helps prolong the life of high-performance components and prevents damage from over tightening. Ideal for use on stems, seat clamps, lever clamps, chain sets, rotors and headsets.
- PEACE OF MIND PROTECT YOUR INVESTMENT – Over-tightening bolts can cause expensive damage to your bike. Applying too little torque can lead to bolts working loose or not doing their job. Our 1/4-inch drive dual-direction torque wrench driver removes the guesswork, making it easy to follow the manufacturer’s recommended settings. Each hand tool is shipped pre-calibration tested for accuracy, +/- 4% (clockwise) and +/- 6% (counter clockwise).
- SAFE & EASY TO USE & READ – Smooth and precise operation. Spring loaded adjustment collar automatically ‘locks’ in place at the desired torque setting, ensuring it will not accidentally slip when being used. High-contrast Nm scale is easy to read. Wrench emits a ‘click’ that can be ‘heard and felt’ when the pre-set torque value is reached, alerting you to ‘stop’ applying force. IMPORTANT: At low Nm settings under 5 Nm the click can be ‘subtle’. Between 5 & 20 Nm the click will be stronger.
- RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB – Includes Hex: H2, H2.5, H3, H4, H5, H6, H8, H10. Torx: T10, T25, T30 socket set and 100mm extension bar for reaching concealed bolts. Bespoke protective molded case to keep the torque wrench and tool bits stored safely, also includes ‘storage’ section inside case to store bolts when using the wrench. Reversible 72-tooth ratchet head measures torque in clockwise and counter clockwise directions. Engage and release bit instalment button.
- PROFESSIONAL QUALITY – Each hand tool is fully calibration tested for accuracy to ISO 6789-2:2017 and DIN EN ISO 6789-1:2017-07 requirements and test methods for design conformance testing, quality conformance testing and recalibration procedure. Includes individual certificate of calibration with each set. We are so confident about our high-quality wrenches that if you have any product issues, we’re very happy to either provide a Refund or a Replacement on your purchase!
- Heat treated steel ratchet head
- Range: 27-204Nm(20-150lbft)
- Every wrench is tested and supplied with an individually numbered test certificate
- Micrometer type torque range adjustment with scale graduated in both lbft and Nm
- Ratchet head is engraved with Nm and lb-in scales on the barrel of the wrench
- The micrometer type sleeve allows accurate preset torque values to be set
- When torque is reached the wrench produces an audible click and a release of tension
- Marked range: 30-210Nm/22.1-154.9lb-ft
- Overall length 475mm
- Can be used for tightening and final checking of torque
- Equipped with an angular gauge
- Graduated in Nm and ft.lb
- Rubber handle for grip
- Manufactured to DIN3122 standards
- Easy to use and practical, has a long service life. It is a prefect tool for biking.
- If you have any questions, please contact us.We will answer you as soon as possible.Thank you for your understanding!
*Last update on 2020-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API