Milenco Torque Wrench Safety Kit Review
Before I start I’d just like to say, I’ve been caravanning since 2006 and have NEVER checked my wheel nuts on caravan, or car. Once you get into your head that the wheel nuts may come loose, you simply have to check them..
“£50 for a torque wrench? Are you absolutely bonkers? You can get them for 20 quid on Amazon! The amount you’ll use it, it’s not worth it.” And this was just what I said to myself as I was unwrapping the parcel.
I could have bought one for £20 true and it would have done the job, 100%.
So why did I buy the Milenco Torque Wrench Safety Kit? Hopefully in this article I’ll be able to justify it to myself and maybe I can give you some reasons to purchase it, or indeed save 30 quid and buy the cheaper one. At this point in the article I really don’t know.
Here’s a photo of the offending piece of hardware your honour.
This bad boy is going to have to earn its keep that’s for sure. Not only will I be “torquing up” the caravan wheels (I have a twin axle so 4 wheels, just to justify the purchase a little more) but also Mrs Caravan Vlogger’s car, my car, my 2 daughter’s cars and my son’s car. Five cars and a caravan in total, that’s 20 wheels, so that’s potentially 100 wheel nuts. 100 / £50 = 0.50p per wheel. An absolute bargain, I should have bought TWO!
OK, so I’ll never be the Chancellor of the Exchequer (thankfully), but I think I’ve done a reasonable job of justifying it to myself?
Why Do I Need A Torque Wrench?
Over the past few weeks I’ve been made aware that caravan wheels can work loose. They can WHAT? I don’t know the technical reason why. I don’t know why I need to worry about my caravan wheels and not give a flying fudge about my car ones. Or maybe I should worry about the car ones? Anyway, that aside for the moment. I’ve been made aware that nuts can come loose, at about the same time there was something in the news about a caravan wheel and also on a traffic update I heard of a traffic jam due to a caravan wheel falling off. (If a wheel can fall off). That’s it, mind made up, buy a bloody torque wrench. So I did.
What is “Torque”?
You can google torque for a technical understanding if you have a mind to. Basically, torque is a measure of how tight the wheel nut is. So instead of tightening it as much as is humanly possible, you tighten with a torque wrench. You set a measurement as per recommendations by manufacturer and when you tighten, you keep going until it goes “click”.
What Did I Get In the Packet?
Rather annoyingly, as you can see from the photo, it came in the rather difficult to open plastic straight jacket. These are bad enough with small purchases, but this is quite big. I had to open it with scissors, no way you could use your bare hands.
- Torque Wrench
- Indicators (More on these later)
- Extension Bar
- 21mm Socket
- 19mm Socket
You might be able to see from the photo that it’s a “Bailey Version”, another reason why I bought it. Bailey have 19mm wheel nuts. This was partly due to my ignorance, honestly I’m an advertisers dream!
Now, I’m hoping that the 21mm is going to fit my car(s). I think I have various sockets lying around, quite possible not in my socket set case, more likely strewn around my shed, or in my office, or of course in any number of kitchen cupboards and lastly, somewhere in the caravan!
I’ve included a photo of the back as well…
On the back of the pack there are instructions on how to use it. Just as well, I’ve never used one before. I do know, however, that you use it to tighten wheel nuts to a certain “torque”. When it clicks, it is tight enough. Now, I know this because I had a tire fitted on my car a little while ago and the tire fitter had a torque wrench. However, I have never used one myself, and not set it up before either.
Just a note to anyone with a Unicorn IV; mine came with wheel nuts that need a special adapter (which was supplied) naturally I didn’t know this, until I came to use the wrench for the first time.
Ease of Use
Torque wrenches in general are very easy to use. In fact, I’ve created a video for you where I’ll tell you all about it. It’s not a technical video, so anyone can understand it.
Amazon Best Selling Torque Wrenches
- Chrome vanadium steel torque wrench with torque range of 28-210 Nm
- Includes storage case
- Includes 125 mm extension bar and 1/2" to 3/8" converter
- Ratchet head is engraved with Nm and lb-in scales on the barrel of the wrench
- The micrometer type sleeve allows accurate preset torque values to be set
- When torque is reached the wrench produces an audible click and a release of tension
- Marked range: 30-210Nm/22.1-154.9lb-ft
- Overall length 475mm
- Tool for professional maintenance and repair work on the car, for tightening wheel nuts, cylinder Head bolts, etc.
- Adjustment range 28 - 210 Nm
- Drive: 1/2 "(12.7 mm) square
- Includes 17mm, 19mm, 21mm sockets and 125 mm extension bar
- High quality, exact scale from 2-24 Nm
- Reversible ratchet (1/4 inch) with changeable direction
- Hex bits 3/4/5/6/8/10 mm allen key and T 25 torx
- 【High Precision】Each torque wrench passed the certification of DIN-ISO-6789 (international standard) with a tolerance of +/- 4%. Authenticated one by one with individual test data and serial No. to ensure the daily use.
- 【Click Wrench】With a torque value set in advance, when value reached, the tool makes a click-clack sound to mind you stop applying force for the protection of the wrench.
- 【Reversible Ratchet】Clockwise and Counter-clockwise suitable for restricted spaces,measures torque in clockwise direction.
- 【High Quality】All steel structure with sliver chrome coating, sand-blasting for body and black chrome coating for sleeve, the torque wrench is durable and anti-rust. High-contrast dual-range scale make it easy to read under low or strong light. Mist surface treatment for eye protection.
- 【Complete Accessories】 Equipped with extra 1/2 in. drive(F) to 3/8 in. drive(M) reducer, 1/2 in. drive impact socket extension bar in a case, can fit all your types and size of sockets included 3/8", 1/2".
- 1/4“ drive torque wrench with 20-150 in.-lb/2.5-15 Nm range
- Durable ratchet head made from hardened treated Chromium molybdenum steel alloy (Cr-Mo); Bright, full polish chrome finish wipes easily clean and resists rust and corrosion
- High contrast and dual range scale pre-calibrated to ± 3%
- Includes sturdy plastic case for storage and portability
- Heat treated steel ratchet head.
- Fully hardened and tempered.
- Range: 7-112Nm(5-83lb.ft).
- Micrometer type torque range adjustment with scale graduated in both lb.ft and Nm.
- Flip reverse ratchet mechanism.
- PRECISION and ACCURACY ➤ Adjustable Torque Wrench 1/2 with high accuracy according to DIN 6789 ISO standard. Each wrench is calibrated and certified. For Cars, Bikes, Construction.
- EASY SCALE ADJUSTEMENT ➤ Adjustment range 28 - 210 Nm with high ± 4% trigger accuracy 4% trigger accuracy with coarse and fine adjustment. Double scale easy to read
- ALL IN ONE SET ➤ Torque Wrench set including: 1 Adjustabel Torque Wrench 46 cm with reverisble ratchet + 1 bar extension 12.5 cm + 3 Sockets 17, 19, 21 mm made of chrome vanadium steel. Reversible ratchet, with square drive and ball lock
- QUALITY MADE ➤ Wrench and Sockets of chrome vanadium steel. In a solid plastic box; ergonomic handle with anti-sliding grip
- USE ➤ For controlled screwing on car and bike repairs, wheel change and maintenance work of cars, SUVs, vans, mechanical engineering
- Adjustable Torque Wrench Square Drive Click Hand Ratchet Tool
- 1/4" drive torque wrench
- Lockable grip for accurate results
- 5~25nm / 4 18 Ft./lbs torque range ,fully adjustable.
- A blow molded case for easy storage and transportation
- Can be used for tightening and final checking of torque
- Equipped with an angular gauge
- Graduated in Nm and ft.lb
- Rubber handle for grip
- Manufactured to DIN3122 standards
*Last update on 2020-06-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API