A bold claim by Kartt. “The ultimate jockey wheel”.
Just for transparency; Kartt did contact us to ask if we would test this jockey wheel. We were happy to oblige, I just wish they’d contacted me a month before, I wouldn’t have bought the pneumatic one. Such is life 🙂
Who are Kartt?
They’re a UK based, they are a major supplier of trailer jockey wheels, known for there “Orange Jockey Wheels”
What Makes it “Ultimate” in the Eyes of the Manufacturer (Kartt)
Their products are tested to twice the recommended working capacity with a high quality rubber tyre. This is a lot better than my existing plastic one that was supplied with the caravan, you know the one, it looks a little like it’s better placed on a child’s bike. So this is where they differ from pneumatic jockey wheels, there’s no air, so no chance of deflation..
Karrt are a new company to me, I was wondering why I hadn’t heard of them. It’s probably because a jockey wheel isn’t something you get excited about until you need to change it and of course, I did. I wasn’t happy with the performance of my jockey wheel on our gravel drive. Karrt do a range of jockey wheels, not just this one, as well as commercial products as well.
This jockey wheel incorporates Karrt’s very own “Turn-Lok” which they say helps prevent the jockey wheel from unwinding when travelling. I’ve only had a problem with a jockey wheel once, where I could hear a noise as we were driving along. I pulled over at the service station and noticed that the jockey wheel was touching the road surface. It’s not that I had forgotten to pull it up (although Mandy naturally accused me and with some justification). So the only conclusion I came too was that it had somehow worked loose. BTW it did create a flat spot on the wheel.
Kartt Jockey Wheel Vital Statistics
- 1 Steel handle for extra strength.
- 2 Corrosion resistant plating.
- 3 Maintenance free high grade nylon bearing for smooth movement and no metal to metal wear or break down under load.
- 4 A large, wide, solid rubber tyre that won’t puncture or easily come off the rim and travels over most surfaces.
- 5 High visibility orange powder coated steel rim that can be more easily seen if the wheel is not raised after hitching up.
- 6 A heavy duty steel rim.
- 7 A 20mm steel axle to ride inside the nylon bearing allows free running and long life.
- 8 5mm thick wheel hanger for long durability
- 9 Heavy duty tube ensures that it not only can take higher nose weights but also the strain from sideways movements.
- 10 High grade roller bearings for easy turning and long life.
- 11 Turn-Lok* – a device that stops the handle from un-winding under normal road vibrations.
- 12 Ergonomically designed handle for easy grip in all weather conditions.
- Tube Size ⌀48mm
- Max Load Weight 250kg
- Item Weight 6.8kg
- Tyre: Solid Rubber
- Rim: Steel
- Wide Wheel: 220 x 65mm
My hunt for a new jockey wheel began with a question on Twitter. What did people think about pneumatic jockey wheels. 99% of people replied that they had issues with them deflating. I’m not sure why I didn’t heed this advice, but, to my cost I didn’t.
We tested the jockey wheel on our Bailey Cartagena, replacing our supplied plastic caravan jockey wheel. To give it a good test we compared it with our existing Jockey Wheel, as well as a pneumatic caravan jockey wheel we purchased prior to Kartt offering us their jockey wheel to test.
We park our Bailey Cartagena on our drive, which is gravel and on a slope. The supplied jockey wheel, jumps, and slides on the gravel. As we only have two motor movers on the twin axle caravan it isn’t the sharpest of turning circles. With this added issue of jumping with the plastic supplied jockey wheel it makes it hard to get the caravan onto our drive in one go when we arrive home.
With the Pnuematic Jockey Wheel fitted the caravan travelled much smoother over the drive, however, the jockey wheel did fail in epic style (see our You Tube comparison video below.) Behave of the old adage “buy cheap, buy twice”
The Kartt Caravan Jockey Wheel is a great alternative to the pneumatic one. It is solid rubber so can’t puncture and yet, it delivers a smooth performance. It also feels well built and is heavier than the other two wheels, (only by 1kg or so) this means, for me at least, it gives you more confidence.
The movement of the handle to wind the wheel up and down was smoother than our original jockey wheel, however, I felt the pneumatic jockey wheel had the smoothest winding movement. Also the handle on the Karrt is bigger, which means it’s easier to hold when you turn.
By the way, we tested 3 jockey wheels with their own shaft attached, we didn’t just compare the wheel itself. Kartt is supplied with it’s own tube and has its own “Turn Lok” system which prevents the jockey wheel from moving once it’s it its travelling positing. When winding and unwinding the Kartt it gives a reassuring “click” as you turn the handle, something I liked and gave me more satisfaction than I care to admit. Some Caravnners are just, well, weird..
If you’re happy with your current jockey wheel than you’ll not need to change it. If however, it’s been damaged, or isn’t suitable for your drive / storage yard, then the Kartt Ultimate Jockey Wheel is worth a look. We will certainly be using it from now on. I’ve been very impressed and didn’t realise how inadequate our existing jockey wheel was until we tried it.
I certainly wouldn’t want to rely on a pneumatic jockey wheel due to the fact that it is a tyre with air in and if for some reason that air escapes, you’ve got a world of pain on your hands. It’s just not worth the risk for us.
I’m still gutted that I bought the pneumatic one. I now have 3 jockey wheels, I obviously only need 1 🙁
I’ll freely admit, to my own and Mandy’s annoyance, I’m really not happy settling for second best. When I buy something like the pneumatic jockey wheel that doesn’t perform as I expect it really annoys me. Do you really want the added hassle of pumping up a jockey wheel along with checking your wheel nuts, tyre pressures, windows are shut, aerial is down, lockets are locked. Really, I could do without it!
You Tube Review Video
A detailed caravan jockey wheel comparison is available on our YouTube channel. Please like, share and subscribe, it really does help our fledgling channel and website. (Thanks)
Available from Amazon
Best selling Jockey wheels :
- Tube size – 48mm diameter
- Rim – Steel
- Tyres – Solid Rubber
- Wheel – 200x50mm
- Length ext. – 220mm
- The Xtremeauto ribbed jockey wheel features a 48mm diameter shaft, providing superior strength and stability for heavy loads. This design, combined with the ribbed surface, ensures easy maneuverability even under the weightiest of towing loads.
- The heavy-duty cast iron clamp ensures secure attachment to your caravan, trailer, or horse box. This means you can enjoy peace of mind while towing, knowing that your jockey wheel is safely and firmly attached.
- The security locking pin is a key feature of the Xtremeauto ribbed jockey wheel. This locking mechanism prevents the jockey wheel from unscrewing itself down, adding an extra layer of safety and security to your towing setup.
- With a maximum load weight of 3500kg and a nose weight limit of 500kg, the Xtremeauto ribbed jockey wheel is suitable for even the heaviest of towing loads. Whether you are transporting a fully-loaded caravan, trailer, or horse box, this jockey wheel is up to the task.
- Designed with the needs of towing enthusiasts in mind, the Xtremeauto ribbed jockey wheel is the perfect addition to your caravanning or equestrian setup. Whether you are towing for leisure or for work, this jockey wheel is sure to make your towing experience smoother, safer, and more enjoyable.
- The Xtremeauto Pneumatic jockey wheel features a 48mm diameter shaft, providing superior strength and stability for heavy loads. This design ensures easy maneuverability even under the weightiest of towing loads.
- The heavy-duty clamp ensures secure attachment to your caravan, trailer, or horse box. This means you can enjoy peace of mind while towing, knowing that your jockey wheel is safely and firmly attached.
- With a maximum load weight nose weight limit of 136kg, the Xtremeauto jockey wheel is suitable for even the heaviest of towing loads. Whether you are transporting a fully-loaded caravan, trailer, or horse box, this jockey wheel is up to the task.
- Designed with the needs of towing enthusiasts in mind, the Xtremeauto jockey wheel is the perfect addition to your caravanning or equestrian setup. Whether you are towing for leisure or for work, this jockey wheel is sure to make your towing experience smoother, safer, and more enjoyable.
- 8” / 200mm diameter replacement Jockey Wheel for use on Caravans
- High quality steel wheel rim with corrosion protection. Suitable for trailers with hefty maximum static loads of up to 500kg
- Solid puncture proof wide span tyre manufactured from heavy duty Butyl rubber. Designed to take a 20mm axle
- The smooth tread allows for easy caravan manoeuvring on any surface
- Tread Pattern / Type: /Line/Profile: /35 mm / 1.38 inches/Diameter of Central Hole: /21 mm / 0.83 inches/Width Of Central Hole (from end of outer bearing to end of outer bearing): /58.5 mm / 2.3 inches/Tread Depth: /1.25 mm / 0.05 inches/Outer Diameter: /200 mm / 7.87 inches/Tyre Width: /58.5 mm / 2.3 inches
- 48mm deluxe heavy duty cast steel clamp
- Zinc plated to reduce corrosion
- Size: Length – 135mm, Width – 72mm, Height (not including the handle) – 82mm
- Distance between mounting holes is approx 100mm suitable for M12 bolts
- This clamp is ideal for use with the heavy duty 48mm tube diameter jockey wheels and prop stands
- 200mm steel wheel replacement wheel for jockey wheels
- Wheel diameter: 200mm
- Tyre width: 48mm
- Tyre / Rim: Rubber / Steel
- Bore (dia. x length): 20.5 x 58mm
- Standard duty 48mm outer tube diameter jockey wheel for trailers or caravans
- 200mm steel wheel and solid rubber tyre
- Complete with bolt on split clamp with 105mm hole centres
- Max Nose Weight Guide 100kg
- Height extension range from 620mm – 820mm
- 48mm standard duty split clamp suitable for a 48mm jockey wheels and prop stands
- M10 bolt size
- 105mm mounting hole centres
- Manufactured from 3.5mm steel
- Zinc plate finish
- Galvanized steel with 48mm outer tube diameter
- 250mm/10 inch height extension range
- 250 x 100mm pneumatic rubber tyre
- 150kg / 331lbs max static loading capacity
- Easy adjusting level by turning the lifting handle
*Last update on 2024-02-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API