The caravanning world is full of innuendo. I really don’t have to think to hard about coming up with some examples. They are simply everywhere..If you’re a male and I didn’t know you and I asked you this.
“How often do you check your nuts?” You might give me a strange look, you might even try to physically harm me.
Now, let’s move onto the awning, we all over use the word erection when putting up an awning don’t we? Words like droopy and hard also apply here.
I’ve never, ever checked if my wheel nuts were tight. I’ve never lost a wheel or even been aware that wheel nuts come loose. Even if they did you’ve got, what, 5 of them on each wheel. However, they do come loose, I know they do I’ve seen them on news feeds, be it twitter or facebook. I’ve recently noticed Police forces posting on twitter about caravan wheel working loose. I mean, there haven’t been loads, it’s not as if there’s some kind of epidemic, but enough to make me notice.
I don’t know about you, but as soon as I’m made aware of something like this, it starts to play on my mind. So, you start asking questions, you start reading more about it. You turn to twitter. Surely, I can’t be the only one who doesn’t regularly check wheel nuts.
Then in dawns on you, you’re in the minority. Most DO check their wheel nuts with one of their favourite caravan accessories. I then go into denial, I start telling myself I’ve never had to do this, I’m an experienced caravanner, it’s NEVER happened EVER.
The Right Tools
Don’t get me wrong, I have thought about this before, just a few months ago I was in the DIY store Homebase…I mean Bunnings, no it’s Homebase. Our local Homebase went through about 6 months being a Bunnings, it’s now a Homebase again. Whatever it’s called I did happen upon a torque wrench. Hmmm, I know this is the tool to tighten your wheel nuts. It differs from a normal wrench or wheel brace, in that you can set it to a certain tightness (these things are measured in Newton Meters, with the primary purpose of putting me off) When tightening your caravan wheel nut, once the desired tightness is met it will “click”.
The one I saw in Homebase was over £50. For the life of me I could not justify spending £50 one something I didn’t need. I could just make sure the wheel nuts are as tight as I can get them. Then I thought no more of it..
I’ve been looking at torque wrenches on Amazon. One I like the look of is the Milenco Caravan Wheel Torque Wrench Safety. It seems expensive but it has some nut indicators to let you know if the wheels nuts has loosened. Now I’m one for a gadget if it saves me time, so I think if I get this one I won’t need to check it every time? I could be wrong.
- Model Number: 2868
- Item Package Quantity: 1
- Package Weight: 2820 grams
- Package Dimensions (L x B x H) in cm: 4.6 x 27 x 64
It’s cheaper than the one I saw in Homebase, but as I have no experience of torque wrenches so wouldn’t know a good one if it bit my on the bottom. Not that you really need experience of a torque wrench before buying one as they’ll all work. It gets good reviews on Amazon, so it’s certainly one I will consider. I need to check the wheel nuts before I go on our next trip.
There are, as always, cheaper alternatives and it doesn’t always mean the most expensive ones are necessarily the best, or cheapest is the worst. In the section on Amazon that tells you what most customers bought after viewing the Milenco one, the following one was listed.
- Chrome vanadium steel with reversible ratchet head
- Knurled adjustment handle and locking ring for precise torque settings
- Manufactured in accordance with EN ISO 6789 and DIN 3121 – Accuracy +/- 4 percent
- Range 28 – 210Nm and resolution 1Nm
- Includes 125 mm extension bar, 1/2″ – 3/8” drive adaptor (202Nm max) and storage case
As you can see, it’s quite a bit cheaper, less than half price in fact.
Which Torque Wrench Should I Buy?
Looking at the last one you’d need to buy a socket to fit your wheel, if you didn’t already have one. So at the moment I can’t decide which one although I’m leaning towards the Milenco one, purely because it has the indicator caps. Once I have decided I’ll do a review and pop it in the Product Reviews section.
Here’s a selection of torque wrenches from Amazon. Amazon’s best selling torque wrenches are…..
- 【High quality】 FOURRROBER torque wrench is made of nickel-chromium alloy steel and iron, and the black iron roller handle can effectively prevent slippage.
- 【High accuracy】: 25-220Nm industrial grade auto torque wrench with a formal calibration certificate. Professionally made 45-tooth ratchet head, accuracy error within ±4%.
- 【Clear scale】The improved version of the torque wrench set, with a clear scale. With double reading scale, the unit is NM and In.lb
- 【Easy to use】: Pull down the lock knob and hold it until the torque setting is completed. Release the hand, and the lock knob will automatically rebound back to lock the value. Handle scale adopts laser technology, dual range scale is clear and easy to read, not easy to wear. It is more convenient to use.
- 【Widely used】 FOURROBBER 1/2 torque wrench kit includes 3/8 adapter, extension rod and box, economical kit, easy to use, mainly suitable for equipment installation, electrical engineering, automobile maintenance, tire replacement, etc.
- ± 3% High Accuracy: Industrial grade torque wrench has a torque range of 5-25 Nm/44.3-221.3 lbf.in.; Adjustable torque wrench set is fully calibrated and tested for accuracy to ISO and ASME requirements. Includes individual certificate of calibration with each set. We are full of confidence in high-quality wrenches.
- Thick and Durable: Professional 1/4″ drive bicycle torque w is made of hard-wearing, rust-resistant chrome-vanadium steel for a comfortable grip, non-slip, and corrosion-resistant. The Nm and FT-LB double scales use laser technology, which is clear and easy to read, not easy to wear, and suitable for most applications.
- Precise Commissioning: Install components with calibrated precision – torque range from 5.0 to 25.0 Nm, fine-tuned to 0.25. Helps ensure that components on the bike are tightened to the correct torque and that the clamping force is evenly distributed on each clamping surface. 1/4 torque wrench helps prolong the life of high performance components and prevents damage from over-tightening. Great for stems, seat clamps, lever clamps, chain sets, rotors and headphones
- Easy to Use: When the adjustable torque wrench set reaches the preset torque value, the torque wrench will make a “click” sound, which you can hear or feel, reminding you to stop applying force, so as not to damage your items due to excessive torque. When not in use, please adjust the wrench to the minimum torque value to prolong the service life of the torque wrench
- Wide Range of Uses: Dual Direction torque wrench adjustable The blade of the torque wrench head can adjust the direction of use at any time, so that the wrench can be used in both clockwise and counter-clockwise directions to meet your different operational needs. Widely used in bicycle motorcycle repair wrench kits, road and mountain bike torque wrench kit maintenance kits, equipment installation, electrical engineering, product assembly, etc
- Torque values to be set When torque is reached the wrench produces an audible click and a release of tension Comes with: Blow moulded storage case
- 22.1-154.9Lb-Ft Ratchet Torque Wrench
- Marked Range: 1/2″ Square Drive 30 – 210Nm
- Comes with: Blow mould storage case
- SIMPLE SCALE ADJUSTMENT: Maximise the safety and performance of your bike, car, or machinery with the VonHaus ½ torque wrench. Accurately adjust the locking nut to a torque level between 30-210Nm using the clear engravings.
- LONG-REACH HANDLE: At 470mm long, use the reversible torque wrench to tighten and loosen hard-to-reach bolts with ease. Work with precision and comfort thanks to the firm grip handle.
- STORAGE CASE: Included in the torque wrench set is a bicycle torque wrench, ½-⅜” socket, and ½” extension – all supplied in a robust carry case. Inner blow moulding ensures secure transportation and protection.
- CALIBRATION CERTIFICATE: The bike wrench comes with a certificate of calibration, ensuring 4% tolerance. What’s more, the click system lets you know exactly when your torque has been reached.
- THE VONHAUS PROMISE: All our products are backed by a minimum 2 year warranty, so you can be safe in the knowledge that if anything happens we’re here for you. Use our products with confidence.
- 1: ± 3% high-precision: The torque range of industrial grade torque wrenches is 5-60 Nm/3.7-44.3 lbf.ft, and adjustable torque wrenches have been fully calibrated and tested according to DIN ISO and ASME. Includes individual certificate of calibration with each set. We are full of confidence in high-quality wrenches.
- 2: Heavy Duty and Durable: Professional 3/8″ drive torque wrench made of hard-wearing, rust-resistant chrome-vanadium steel for a comfortable grip, non-slip, and corrosion-resistant. The Nm and FT-LB double scales use laser technology, which is clear and easy to read, not easy to wear, and suitable for most applications.
- 3: Easy to use: When the adjustable torque wrench set reaches the preset torque value, the torque wrench will make a “click” sound, which you can hear or feel, reminding you to stop applying force, so as not to damage your items due to excessive torque. When not in use, please adjust the wrench to the minimum torque value to prolong the service life of the torque wrench.
- 4: Precise Commissioning: Install components with calibrated precision – torque range from 5.0 to 60.0 Nm, fine-tuned to 0.5. Helps ensure that components on the bike or cars are tightened to the correct torque and that the clamping force is evenly distributed on each clamping surface. 3/8torque wrench helps prolong the life of high performance components and prevents damage from over-tightening.
- 5: Wide Range of Uses: Dual Direction torque wrench adjustable The blade of the torque wrench head can adjust the direction of use at any time, so that the wrench can be used in both clockwise and counter-clockwise directions. Great for stems, seat clamps, lever clamps, chain sets, rotors and headphones,automobile spark plug replacement, bicycle and motorcycle maintenance wrench, equipment installation, electrical engineering, product assembly, etc
- 1/4 inch torque wrench with a range of 3.95 – 22.5 Nm；Remember to unlock before adjusting the torque value;Make sure to lock after adjusting for the stability of working torque;After the work, please loosen the locking ring of the wrench and adjust it to the lowest value for the next use
- Durable ratchet head made from hardened treated Chrome Vanadium steel alloy (Cr-V); bright, full polish chrome finish wipes easily clean and resists rust and corrosion
- High-contrast and dual-range scale that is pre-calibrated to ± 4%; Tips: For precise scale adjustment, please use the imperial scale. The conversion formula between the imperial scale and the metric scale is: 1 N⋅m = 8.86 in·lb
- Includes sturdy plastic case for storage and portability
- Note! The scale is in English system and the dimensions are in lb/ft/in.
- Ratchet head: Reversible ratchet head made from hardened treated heavy-duty alloy steel.
- Finish: The black electroplated film penetrates the metal and merges with the metal to form a black metal matte texture.
- Sealing ring: Keeps iubrication in and contamination out. Roll marked: Scale is marked for permanence. Knurled handle: Oil resistant and skid resistant. Locking collar: Prevents accidental change of torque value during use.
- Easy to read: High contrast & Dual range scale. Accurate: Pre-calibrated to ±3% clockwise, ±4% counterclockwise. The click type design alerts you when torque is reached and helps to prevent over-torquing.
- 5 Pieces Set: 3/8-inch 5-70 Nm torque wrench, 3/8-inch drive 75 mm long extension bar, 3/8-inch drive to 1/4-Inch drive adapter, 14mm and 16mm spark plug socket.
- Ranges: 1/4″Sq Drive 5-25Nm, 3/8″Sq Drive 20-120Nm and 1/2″Sq Drive 40-220Nm.
- Scales graduated in both Nm and lb.ft.
- Calibration tolerance in accordance with BS EN ISO 6789-1:2017.
- Wrenches are individually tested to standards with ±4% accuracy and each wrench is issued with an individually numbered test certificate. Aluminium knurled handle for comfort and control. Supplied in EVA tray.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY GUARANTEE FROM A REPUTABLE UK COMPANY – Founded in 1978, Sealey is a large family run business with a vast product range. Trusted by professionals, all Sealey products are thoroughly tested and backed by unrivalled aftersales service.
- Torque wrench: 1/2 “, 28 – 210Nm, with 17, 19 and 21 mm socket wrenches and a 125 mm extension.
- The load settings apply to bolts and nuts. With steel ratchet head with heat treatment.
- It can be used for left or right hand applications.
- This torque wrench is a quality tool suitable for professional or DIY use.
- Ideal for use on bikes, scooters, motorcycles, cars and small engines, etc.
- Features:Heat treated steel ratchet head
- Fully hardened and tempered
- Electrodeposition finish for corrosion resistance
- Calibration tolerance in accordance with BS EN ISO 6789:2003
- Every wrench is tested and supplied with an individually numbered test certificate
So, after making your way through the rest of the article, which one did we buy after our research? Well, we did go for the Milenco in the end. Check out our unsponsored review of the Milenco Torque Wrench. Did we consider it a good buy, or an expensive mistake?
*Last update on 2024-02-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API