Thetford Toilet Cassette Top Tip
Before we start discussing maintenance of the Thetford toilet cassette, did you know you can buy a freshen up kit which comprises of a new toilet seat and a new cassette. So, if you’ve just bought a second hand caravan and don’t want the hassle of using something someone has been happily sitting on and depositing into for years, you can get lovely clean new stuff. So, no need to read the rest of this article, just buy one of these… ( Make sure you buy the correct one )
- Suitable for all C 250/260 toilets.
- Hygiene for your toilet.
- Tank with wheels.
- Contents: 1 x tank with wheels, 1 x toilet lid, 1 x cleaner, 1 x toilet additive.
- Fits left and right built toilets, a nozzle can be implemented too.
- Holding tank for Thetford C200 series ( capacity 17 liters )
- WC seat with cover
- Thetford Replacement Holding Tank C400 Fresh Up Kit
- Suitable for all C 2 - 3 - 4 toilets
- Hygiene for your toilet
- Box contents: 1 x tank with wheels, 1 x toilet lid.
You didn’t buy one? Read on my friends…..
Unlike the toilet at home, it’s not a flush and forget affair. Things need doing and doings need getting rid of. It’s not just some magic hole where everything just disappears into never to be seen again. Unless of course you work at a sewage farm, where you’d see it again everyday. Toilets are a serious matter and they are not to be sniffed it, so let’s take a look at one.
The toilet cassette is this thing right here:
Thetford Toilet Cassette Parts
Looking at the Thetford toilet cassette there’s a number of parts. No need to memorise them all, unless you’d like to…(Your specific toilet may differ to the one shown below)
Firstly, the pour out spout (29) where you empty the loo from. Remove the cap (28) and poor out the contents. The cap is also a measure.
Just below the spout is the handle, where you can hold the cassette.
Below that is a large circle (4 waste holding tank plate) with an orange knob (1 blade opener), this operates the flap, which you open to flush water through to give it a good clean after emptying. Before doing that though you need to remove the flap by sliding it towards the handle. This whole piece can also twist out for even easier cleaning, probably at the end of the season.
There are obviously two wheels (32) and at the top is a pull out handle, which makes it easier to get the the disposal point. Lastly, is the little orange button at the bottom. When emptying you can press this and it lets air in to help move the contains quickly through the pipe
Pink, Blue or Green Fluid?
You may have seen toilet fluid, it comes in different colours, but which colours are used where?
Pink is to be added to the water that flushes to toilet
Green and Blue do the same thing. It’s added to the toilet cassette and breaks down all the nasty stuff in there. Green, as you can probably guess is more environmentally friendly. Blue contains all sorts of chemicals. Where you need to be careful is when a site uses something like a septic tank which breaks down toilet stuff naturally. Don’t use blue in this case, only green. If in doubt either use green or ask.
- Great Product
- Easy on the waste holding tank
- Deflates gas build-up
- Environmentally conscious green fluid for the waste-holding tank
- Strong formula that breaks down waste and toilet paper and keeps the waste holding tank fresh-smelling
- Earth-friendly biological properties. Ideal for a mobile holiday in nature.
- 1 dose lasts up to 4 days. Reduces gas build up
- Septic tank safe (Test ISO 11734)
Thetford Toilet Cassette – Cleaning
Water can be used to flush clean the thetford toilet cassette through and it’s probably advisable to wear some kind of rubber gloves, better safe than sorry. There are various toilet cleaners you can use, but we mainly flush with water thoroughly
- Powerful fluid for periodical cleaning and maintenance
- Thoroughly cleans the waste-holding tank and prolongs its life span
- No scrubbing required and leaves behind a pleasant, clean scent
- Use 2 to 3 times per year
- Supplied in a 1 liter bottle
- Thetford Chemical Toilet Bowl Cleaner - 750ml
- 1 x Thetford faeces Tank for C2/C3/C4 with wheels and handle – Left.
- 1 x Toilet Seat With Lid For C2, C3 and C4.
- 1 x Thetford Bathroom Cleaner (500 ml).
- 1 x Thetford Cassette Tank Cleaner (#1 litres).
- The set can be used for the left design of the toilet.
- Eliminates foul smells by keeping the waste-water tank and pipes at their best
- Cuts down deposits and grease contamination in the tubing
- Boosts trouble-free tank discharge and improves hygiene
- No more smelly waste-water tanks, showers, washbasins and sinks
- Supplied in a 1.5 liter bottle
- 500ml Thetford Bathroom Clean replaces plastic cleaner
Thetford Toilet Cassette – Maintenance
As this is the title of the article, we’d better get around to some maintenance. Other than keeping it clean there’s not a great deal to do. You need to lubricate the seal on the part that opens underneath the toilet bowl. You can use olive oil, just open the door by twisting the knob beside the hole and use olive oil to lubricate the seal. You can also use Thetford Seal Lubricant
- Protects toilet seals from drying out and helps toilet run smoother, longer
- Spray on just about anything to prevent squeaking, creaking or leaking
- Safe to use on plastics and rubber
- Covers in one, light coat
- Supplied in a 200ml aerosol can
- Regular application on the valve seal ensures its flexibility and durability
- Thetford Lubricant Spray
- Brand: Thetford.
There is a possibility that the float may get stuck, toilet paper can get stuck around it and make it stick in the “full” position. To clear this open the sliding cover that covers the hole half way and push in an anti clockwise motion to remove the plastic casing that holds the seal. (See our video below) This way you can get access to the float which is in one of the corners, just have a feel around (with gloves on) and see if you can free the float. Don’t force it. It in doubt just fill it with water and give it a little shake to dislodge any loo roll.
The handle can come loose. Simply pop the top of the handle off, but getting a blunt knife in the gap, just below the word “Thetford” and it will expose screws. You can re tighten these and pop the piect you just popped off back in place.
Thetford Toilet Cassette Spares
- Replacement holding tank plate for the popular Thetford C400 Cassette Toilet.
- As you sit on the toilet, if the cassette exit is on your right you need the right hand plate, the opposite you need the left.
- White River Outdoor have a lifetime of experience and enthusiasm for all things outdoor
- Thetford cassette lip seal part number 23721
- Fits cassettes after 15/06/00 only
- Complete with fitting instructions
- Thetford Cassette Lip Seal for caravan Toilet
- Flush knob.
- Suits C2, C3 and C4 models.
- Replacement dump cap with measuring cup.
- Suitable for use with Thetford C2, C3, C4, C200, C250, C260 and C400 holding tanks.
- Replacement waste holding tank mechanism for C250 cassette toilets.
- Complete mechanism straight forward replacement includes lipseal.
- Genuine Thetford spare
Thetford Cassette Toilets – Full Range
Thetford Toilet Cassette Maintenance Our Video
For a practical video on replacing your Thetford toilet cassette seal, see the below
*Last update on 2020-06-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API